Who Ensures Your Builder


Does A Good Job?




Independent Surveyors that can help you

1stAssociated can provide help and advice with regard to builders, amending / altering and / or extending your property, building surveys, structural surveys, independent valuations, property surveys, structural reports, engineers reports, specific defects report, home buyers reports or any other property matters. We use sketches and photographs in our survey reports, as the feedback we have from our clients is that the sketches and photos help them understand the reports.

We are independent so the surveyors we use are not linked to or owned by an estate agent or lending institute, and as a result we are only working with your best interests in mind.  Since we are solely surveyors, we can keep our overheads down and ultimately our prices as well.

Please free to phone 0800 298 5424 for a friendly chat with a surveyor.

Free phone 0800 298 5424

Who checks the standard of work carried out by a builder?

This very much depends upon the size of the project. On a very large project you will have a professional team in place such as an architect, a structural engineer, a quantity surveyor (often both sides will have one or more of these professionals), a clerk that works to see what is happening on site from the client's point of view and a site foreman to see what's going on with the building from a builder's point of view. In addition to all of this you will have planning permission and building regulations when the building control surveyor from within the local authority checks the quality and what the builder is doing.

So what happens on a medium size or a small project? Both of course are very important to the person that is having the work carried out and usually the builder! It can run into tens of thousands of pounds even if they only run into a few thousand pounds it can still be a nightmare if things go wrong. On a medium size project you would tend to have a building surveyor who carries out the roll of the architect, the building surveyor and the clerk all rolled into one. This is fairly standard practise with commercial properties however with residential properties you tend to have just the builder. The only people independent of the builder are the building control surveyors who work within the local authority who are there to check that the planning permission and building regulations that are usually needed are adhered to. On many smaller projects for uninformed clients they have no one working on their side although they may think the builder is he rarely is.


Why doesn't the builder check his own standards?

We would say that the industry is driven by tight timescales and tight profit margins and we would use the term of the builders build to a price rather than a standard and we would add they get used to someone else checking their standards. We feel they almost work in some cases to a naughty schoolboy type standard where they do the minimum they can get away with subject to it being checked by someone else.


When do building control surveyors check a property?

Building control surveyors check for certain standards at certain stages. There are nine stages however inspections can be very brief and remember it's your builder that should be in control of the standards not the building control surveyor.


The work stages are as follows;

Commencement of Building Work;

Foundation excavations;

Foundation constructed;

Damp proof course laid;

Oversite ready for concreting;

Before covering any structural timbers, steelwork or concrete;

Drains laid;

Testing drains after backfill;

Before occupation of the building;


What the Building Control Surveyor does in a bit more detail

Here are the nine different stages;


Commencement of Building Work Stage One

You have to advise the local authority at least 48 hours before work commences. The local authority has a choice whether it comes to see the project at this stage or later on which is when you are building the foundations or the drainage.



Foundation excavations Stage Two


A nice summary of what this relates to is everything that is in contact with the ground so this will be the foundation itself which these days is typically concrete. It could be pad, raft or piled foundations. Those are the various tips that we have seen. Trees near buildings particularly in clay subsoil's, you need to inform the building control surveyor as soon as possible.


How deep do we have to dig the foundations before we call for the

building control surveyor?

The foundations have to be dug, levelled and cleared and any ground water be removed or removable.

Raft Foundations

In the case of a raft foundation which literally is a foundation that covers a whole site they need to see vegetation etc has been removed from the site. No excavating material should be used to form the base for the site.

Piled foundations

A building control surveyor should be advised as soon as possible

Reinforced concrete foundations

The building control surveyor would like to be advised before the steelwork is covered with the concrete.


Foundations Constructed Stage Three

The building control surveyor is looking to see that the concrete is of satisfactory quantity and thickness. This is normally academic having had the building regulation drawings approved this should show the thickness and the quality of the concrete which was once an issue now tends to no longer be an issue as the concrete is ready mixed and brought to site so it will have been made in almost lab conditions (as opposed to a building site). Ideally the building control surveyor would like the corners of the building marked out to show the positions of the wall on the foundations and whilst it is possible to start building the walls the advice is to speak to the building control surveyor prior to doing this.


Damp proof course laid Stage Four

Often known as DPC Damp proof course or DPM Damp proof membrane. Again the building control surveyor is looking to check the damp proof course is of a suitable material and its lapped suitably, 150mm ideally by a damp proof membrane, we mean a polythene sheet so the thickness should be 100 gauge not less than 250 microns with no sharp stones visible that could damage it. The building control surveyor will also be looking to see that at openings such as cavity walls the DPC is not bridged by mortar or other waste materials as this could cause cold bridging. (Please see our article on �Cold Bridging').

No other damp proof courses around openings.


Oversite ready for concreting Stage Five


On a concrete floor a building control surveyor will be looking to see that the oversite is blinded with sand. This is a layer of sand turned hard core maybe examined to ensure that it's of suitable quality. To be compacted in layers not exceeding 150 mm in thickness, anything up to 600mm when you may wish to look at an alternative to hard core.


Suspended timber floor

This is the ground beneath that will need inspection

Rare these days but where they are put it needs to be checked that there is the right earth floor finish beneath it, the right number of vents to allow air to flow underneath it, that the right sort of timber has been used to make sure it doesn't rot. We recently came across a case where it had rotted after only six years.


Before covering any structural timbers, steelwork or concrete Stage Six

This relates to the structural elements and which requires the building control surveyor to approve them.


Drains laid and visible for checking Stage Seven


The building control surveyor will check all the drains. They will check the foul water drains and the surface water drainage. Clay or plastic pipes could be used. If required a granular fill such as pea shingle 9-18mm. The drains should be laid, bedded and ready for covering before inspection. This should include any manholes or inspection chambers. The building control surveyors recommend that you test the drains before you backfill them which we would say is common sense. (See stage 8)


Testing drains after backfill Stage Eight

The drains are tested for water tightness by using a bung and filling them up. Obviously if they are leaking at this stage we would then have to dig them up. This is why it is recommended that they are tested initially on stage 7.


Before occupancy Stage Nine

As long as the building control surveyor sees the property at least five days before occupancy everyone is satisfied. In some cases this can be many years later when the house comes to sell which has been extended, it's only then discovered the builder never had the final completion notice signed.



Summary of Building Control

Get your own independent advice. Don't rely upon building control surveyors to produce the standard of your property. Equally don't rely on builders and developers who are building to a price. A commercial company would have their own independent surveyor often known as employer's agent or the companies that build regularly and are what we would inform the client would have their own surveyor / project manager.


Independent Surveyors

If you truly do want an independent expert opinion from a surveyor with regard to valuations, mortgages, mortgage companies, surveys, building surveys, structural reports/engineers reports, specific defects report, structural surveys, home buyers reports or any other property matters please contact 0800 298 5424 for a surveyor to give you a call back.


Commercial Property

If you have a commercial property, whether it is freehold or leasehold then sooner or later you may get involved with dilapidation claims. You may wish to look at our Dilapidations Website at www.DilapsHelp.com and for Disputes go to our Disputes Help site www.DisputesHelp.com .


We hope you found the article of use and if you have any experiences that you feel should be added to this article that would benefit others, or you feel that some of the information that we have put is wrong then please do not hesitate to contact us (we are only human).

The contents of the web site are for general information only and are not intended to be relied upon for specific or general decisions. Appropriate independent professional advice should be paid for before making such a decision.

All rights are reserved the contents of the web site is not to be reproduced or transmitted in any form in whole or part without the express written permission of www.1stAssociated.co.uk


building engineers

Home Buyers Reports Property Surveys - why we're the best. Engineers Reports
© Copyright 1stassociated.co.uk

1stassociated-logo-for-footer IVSA-badge IVSA-putting-client-first call-us-for-footer

We have thousands of free property articles to help you - or call us freephone on 0800 298 5424

We have been working in the property industry for many years and have been
providing free property articles for over ten years. All for free and to help you with buying your next property.

House and Home Surveys and Useful Information

All you need to know about Building Surveys

Building Control, what do they do?

Designers and Architects will they save me money or will they cost me money

Enviroment, Your Building and Garden Gnomes

Estate Agents help sell houses and work for the vendors

Have a Structural Survey to protect you against structural problems

Home improvements, builder problems and ideas for you on how to solve them

How a Surveyor values a property, Chartered Surveyors and Regulated Valuers

How Chartered Engineers and Building Engineers can help you

Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas

NHBC National House Building Council

Structural Surveys and How We Can Help You

Traditional and Non-Traditional Houses and Mortgage Problems

Valuations and how much is the building worth?

Whats the difference between a Chartered Building Surveyor, Chartered Surveyor and an Independent Surveyor

Useful property problem articles by Chartered Surveyors explaining building issues to avoid

External - Helpful information on building problems on the outside of the property

Chimney issues and problems

Cracking and Movement Problems and Surveying Solutions

Flat Roof Problems, how we can solve them

Foundations and Structures and Settlement and Subsidence and Underpinning

Pitched Roofs Problems and Solutions

Roof Problems

Wall Problems

Windows and Doors and Fascias and Soffits and Wet Rot and Dry Rot and other problems

Internal - House problems we have investigated inside

All you ever need to know about floors

Asbestos in your home, what you need to know

Ceiling Cracks and Structural Problems

Condensation, Damp and Black Mould Problems

Cracking and Movement Problems and Surveying Solutions

Windows and Doors and Fascias and Soffits and Wet Rot and Dry Rot and other problems

Woodworm is it a problem or not? Is it active or not?

Services - Building help and advice on costly services

Drainage, what's underground can affect what's above ground

Heating; I just can't get my house warm enough or alternatively I just can't get my house cool enough

You can't mess around with the electric, you need an expert


Commercial Property Services

Building Terms Explained and Directories

Commercial Property Surveys

Commercial Structural Surveys

Leisure Facilites

Offices Large and Small

Shops and Retail

Warehouse and Industrial Buildings

Dilapidations Help and Advice What is a Dilapidations Notice?

A Beginner's Guide to Dilaps

Damp Mould and Condensation

Dampness Rising Damp Mould Black Mould Condensation

Dilapidations and Negotiations

Dilapidations Claim by a Landlord

Energy Saving what can I do?

Finance what is a Financial Adviser (We are not Financial Advisors)

Fire Risk and Help

Health and Safety Risks

Insurance how do I get the correct property insurance?

Landlords Surveying Advice

Property Investment how can I invest in property?

Property TV Reviews by an Independent Surveyor

Schedules of Condition Leasing a Commercial Property

Scotts Schedule and Section 18 Valuation

Tenants Surveying Advice

Weather how does weather affect my property?



Snow and Ice

Strong Winds

Reviews from clients on Commercial Building Surveys

Churches and Charities, helpful reviews from our clients

Industrial Buildings and Warehouses and what our clients say about us

Offices Large and Small, reviews and feedback from our clients

Pubs, Restaurants, Hotels and other Leisure facilities we have surveyed over the years

Shops and Retail, helpful reviews from our clients


First Time Buyers

Buying a Leasehold or Shared Freehold Home

Buying and Selling Houses for the experienced house and home purchaser

First Time Buyers how do I go about buying my first house and home?

Improve your property knowledge with our presentations on house, homes and commercial property

Building Surveys

Building Surveying Useful Information


Dilapidations Presentations in Detail

Final Year Building Surveying Exams for University Students or those that would like to know more

How old is your Building? Which era was it built in?

Party Walls

Surveyors and Design Tools

Disputes and Party Walls

Boundary Disputes

Building and Property Disputes

Party Wall Book Reviews

Party Walls Your Rights and Responsibilities

1stAssociated Surveyors Review for Structural Surveys and Building Surveys

Building Surveys, reviews and feedback from satisfied customers

Buy to let property clients, what they say about our structural surveys

Buying at auction, review of the survey

Buying bungalows and retirement properties and how our surveyors can help

Both at work / busy couples, how we can help and some 1stAssociated client reviews

Families with a young person flying the nest, reviews and feedback

First Time Buyers, what they say about us

Listed buildings, structural surveys

Older buildings, a review of buying an older house

Families with children looking for a new home, feedback and reviews

Buying a Non-Traditional Property

Residential Surveys

House and Home Surveys

Commercial Building Surveys

Commercial Surveys

1st Associated Surveyors Are Also Available in the Following Areas:

East Anglia and East

South and South East

West Country and South West


North and North East



London Markets

London Parks



Areas of Britain

1stAssociated Independent Expert Property Surveyors

Specialists in Home Buyers Reports, Building Surveys and Structural Surveys and Schedules of Condition

All Surveyors are Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors qualified and RICS regulated

and are Members of the Independent Surveyors and Valuers Association

Putting the Client First

We do not accept service of documents by email or fax