Damp proof Courses and Modern Property


Who are we?

Our independent surveyors offer Building Surveys also known as Structural Surveys and Home Buyers Reports. Our surveyors also carry out Specific Defects Reports (often known as Engineers Reports or Damp Reports) for things such as dampness, cracking, etc.

We can also carry out Independent Valuations. Note these are not for bank lending but are to advise you how much we feel the property is really worth. If you have a property problem we may even already have written an article on it and we would refer you to the many articles we have on our home page 1stAssociated.co.uk. use independent surveyors who are more than happy to chat.

Please Freephone us on 0800 298 5424 and surveyor will call you back.

Free phone 0800 298 5424

If we were to be asked yes or no does a modern property need a Damp Proof Course?

With a modern property we mean after the war and we are assuming a cavity wall construction also known as a stretcher bond construction.

Our answer would be yes however we are getting involved in more problems in relation to damp problems in modern properties so we thought we would tell you a bit more about them in this article.




You would have thought after a few hundred years of building properties we would manage to be able to build them and make sure they are dry

We seem to be involved in an increasing number of technical problems on new work. This maybe because the traditional tradesman is disappearing and we seem to have what we can best describe as advanced DIYers in many cases doing things far beyond what they should be doing.



Changes in how the local authority surveyors monitor the buildings we think will lead to problems

In years gone the builders have been kept in check to some extent by local building control surveyors who knew the local builders however with the development of private building control surveyors who work nationally all over the country there is no longer the same sort of local knowledge which we think will lead to problems.


How does building control and dampness in buildings work?

The building control department via their surveyors sets out the minimum standards that you should build to which are within the building regulations and the building regulations approved documents. The builders have no choice about these minimum standards however they still get it wrong.


Damp Proof Courses too low

The green line represents the damp proof course that's to low


A close up of the damp proof course that's to low


As far as we are aware and for as long as we can remember a damp proof course was approximately six inches or 150mm or two bricks or one big stone above ground level. If it is not then there is a danger of problems occurring relating to dampness. We have very recently come across two brand new properties where the damp proof course has been too low. On one of them it was at ground level and on the other it was one brick above ground level. In both cases we are well aware that what has happened is that the house has been built correctly and then for whatever reason landscaping around it has not been carried out correctly. For example in one case we found French drains.


Damp Proof Course at the right height that is still causing problems

We have also seen problems occur where a damp proof course is of the right height but due to the paving being right up to the building we think there will be problems in years to come.

Damp proof course at the right height

If you look closer you can see that the joints are starting to be washed away by the rain where it's bouncing off the pavement beneath


Tarmac driveway to high so damp proof course too low

The second case we want to bring to your attention is a perfect example of where building control approval has been given but it still doesn't make it correct. The house is built on a slight sloping site (not as sloping as shown in the sketch!) and there's a tarmac drive next to it. Due to lack of coordination or site management or simply no one caring the tarmac drive is above the damp proof course in most areas, in other areas it will simply tip any rain water against the building.

The damp proof course is actually below ground level on the photo you are looking at

Damp proof course re-appearing above the tarmac drive

Even at best you only have two courses between the ground and the damp proof course.


In days gone by we used to use the French Drain

A French drain is simply where we dig down by the side of the property and put a pebble dash stone that allows the water to get away quicker. Ideally there should be a pipe at the bottom that is perforated. We were pleased to see one on a building recently that had some problems however when we dug it out we discovered that the French drain was for show only.



A French Drain being dug out

Nothing there




So we decided to dig deeper

With some French drains we barely had to scratch the surface to discover that these French drains were for show only! The green line represents the damp proof course and the airbrick is practically underground


The above photos show French drains being used as little more than decoration.


Eyes wide open, don't take anything for granted

There is a phrase that we come across quite a lot which is don't assume anything. This is so true of the building industry. We have given you a few examples regarding some very simple things to be going very wrong in modern property construction. If you would like us to look at anything you have like this or a similar problem you don't know the answer to we would be more than happy to come and have a look.


Independent Surveyors

If you truly do want an independent expert opinion from a surveyor with regard to valuations, mortgages, mortgage companies, surveys, building surveys, structural reports, engineers reports, specific defects report, structural surveys, home buyers reports or any other property matters please contact 0800 298 5424 for a surveyor to give you a call back.


Commercial Property

If you have a commercial property, whether it is freehold or leasehold then sooner or later you may get involved with dilapidation claims. You may wish to look at our Dilapidations Website at www.DilapsHelp.com and for Disputes go to our Disputes Help site www.DisputesHelp.com.

We hope you found the article of use and if you have any experiences that you feel should be added to this article that would benefit others, or you feel that some of the information that we have put is wrong then please do not hesitate to contact us (we are only human).

The contents of the web site are for general information only and are not intended to be relied upon for specific or general decisions. Appropriate independent professional advice should be paid for before making such a decision.

All rights are reserved the contents of the web site is not to be reproduced or transmitted in any form in whole or part without the express written permission of www.1stAssociated.co.uk


We would refer you to other interesting articles on our website:

Do you need a Damp Proof Course in an older property?

Damp Proof Courses what are these for?

Why have one of our surveys?

building engineers

Home Buyers Reports Property Surveys - why we're the best. Engineers Reports
© Copyright 1stassociated.co.uk

1stassociated-logo-for-footer IVSA-badge IVSA-putting-client-first call-us-for-footer

We have thousands of free property articles to help you - or call us freephone on 0800 298 5424

We have been working in the property industry for many years and have been
providing free property articles for over ten years. All for free and to help you with buying your next property.

House and Home Surveys and Useful Information

All you need to know about Building Surveys

Building Control, what do they do?

Designers and Architects will they save me money or will they cost me money

Enviroment, Your Building and Garden Gnomes

Estate Agents help sell houses and work for the vendors

Have a Structural Survey to protect you against structural problems

Home improvements, builder problems and ideas for you on how to solve them

How a Surveyor values a property, Chartered Surveyors and Regulated Valuers

How Chartered Engineers and Building Engineers can help you

Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas

NHBC National House Building Council

Structural Surveys and How We Can Help You

Traditional and Non-Traditional Houses and Mortgage Problems

Valuations and how much is the building worth?

Whats the difference between a Chartered Building Surveyor, Chartered Surveyor and an Independent Surveyor

Useful property problem articles by Chartered Surveyors explaining building issues to avoid

External - Helpful information on building problems on the outside of the property

Chimney issues and problems

Cracking and Movement Problems and Surveying Solutions

Flat Roof Problems, how we can solve them

Foundations and Structures and Settlement and Subsidence and Underpinning

Pitched Roofs Problems and Solutions

Roof Problems

Wall Problems

Windows and Doors and Fascias and Soffits and Wet Rot and Dry Rot and other problems

Internal - House problems we have investigated inside

All you ever need to know about floors

Asbestos in your home, what you need to know

Ceiling Cracks and Structural Problems

Condensation, Damp and Black Mould Problems

Cracking and Movement Problems and Surveying Solutions

Windows and Doors and Fascias and Soffits and Wet Rot and Dry Rot and other problems

Woodworm is it a problem or not? Is it active or not?

Services - Building help and advice on costly services

Drainage, what's underground can affect what's above ground

Heating; I just can't get my house warm enough or alternatively I just can't get my house cool enough

You can't mess around with the electric, you need an expert


Commercial Property Services

Building Terms Explained and Directories

Commercial Property Surveys

Commercial Structural Surveys

Leisure Facilites

Offices Large and Small

Shops and Retail

Warehouse and Industrial Buildings

Dilapidations Help and Advice What is a Dilapidations Notice?

A Beginner's Guide to Dilaps

Damp Mould and Condensation

Dampness Rising Damp Mould Black Mould Condensation

Dilapidations and Negotiations

Dilapidations Claim by a Landlord

Energy Saving what can I do?

Finance what is a Financial Adviser (We are not Financial Advisors)

Fire Risk and Help

Health and Safety Risks

Insurance how do I get the correct property insurance?

Landlords Surveying Advice

Property Investment how can I invest in property?

Property TV Reviews by an Independent Surveyor

Schedules of Condition Leasing a Commercial Property

Scotts Schedule and Section 18 Valuation

Tenants Surveying Advice

Weather how does weather affect my property?



Snow and Ice

Strong Winds

Reviews from clients on Commercial Building Surveys

Churches and Charities, helpful reviews from our clients

Industrial Buildings and Warehouses and what our clients say about us

Offices Large and Small, reviews and feedback from our clients

Pubs, Restaurants, Hotels and other Leisure facilities we have surveyed over the years

Shops and Retail, helpful reviews from our clients


First Time Buyers

Buying a Leasehold or Shared Freehold Home

Buying and Selling Houses for the experienced house and home purchaser

First Time Buyers how do I go about buying my first house and home?

Improve your property knowledge with our presentations on house, homes and commercial property

Building Surveys

Building Surveying Useful Information


Dilapidations Presentations in Detail

Final Year Building Surveying Exams for University Students or those that would like to know more

How old is your Building? Which era was it built in?

Party Walls

Surveyors and Design Tools

Disputes and Party Walls

Boundary Disputes

Building and Property Disputes

Party Wall Book Reviews

Party Walls Your Rights and Responsibilities

1stAssociated Surveyors Review for Structural Surveys and Building Surveys

Building Surveys, reviews and feedback from satisfied customers

Buy to let property clients, what they say about our structural surveys

Buying at auction, review of the survey

Buying bungalows and retirement properties and how our surveyors can help

Both at work / busy couples, how we can help and some 1stAssociated client reviews

Families with a young person flying the nest, reviews and feedback

First Time Buyers, what they say about us

Listed buildings, structural surveys

Older buildings, a review of buying an older house

Families with children looking for a new home, feedback and reviews

Buying a Non-Traditional Property

Residential Surveys

House and Home Surveys

Commercial Building Surveys

Commercial Surveys

1st Associated Surveyors Are Also Available in the Following Areas:

East Anglia and East

South and South East

West Country and South West


North and North East



London Markets

London Parks



Areas of Britain

1stAssociated Independent Expert Property Surveyors

Specialists in Home Buyers Reports, Building Surveys and Structural Surveys and Schedules of Condition

All Surveyors are Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors qualified and RICS regulated

and are Members of the Independent Surveyors and Valuers Association

Putting the Client First

We do not accept service of documents by email or fax