building valuations


Rising damp, condensation and

damp through your walls


If you need help on any type of property problem please feel free to give us a call can offer you help and advice on property problems with dampness, condensation, wet rot, dry rot, woodworm, cracking and movement. We also carry out residential and commercial building surveys, boundary surveys, home buyers reports, or any other property matters.

Please call us free on 0800 298 5424 to talk to a surveyor.

Free phone 0800 298 5424

Rising damp

Open Book ClipartThis is probably the most frequently diagnosed type of dampness, yet interestingly there is substantial evidence that this type of dampness does not exist at all. Jeff Howell, in his book The Rising Damp Myth, spent many years trying to produce dampness in brickwork, without much success (which in itself actually was a success!) as part of his research at South Bank University in London and there has also been much research carried out by the Building Research establishment (originally were the Government department that researched building problems and now a private equivalent), as far back as the 1960's and again in the 1980's, couldn't find the illusive rising damp.


Common sense says there is no such thing as rising damp

We would refer you to such articles, such as those produced by M Richards in 1987 If you can't see it, it probably isn't rising damp from Structural Survey magazine and P Roper 1984 Chemical DPC's Under the Microscope Most Rising Damp Isn't from the Building Trades Journal. We would also ask you to carry out the following common sense questionnaire.


Very old properties don't tend to have any damp proof course at all, yet many are not damp. Why?

Some reasonably old properties have slate damp courses; some are damp and some are not. Again, we would ask why?

A modern damp proof company puts liquid into a wall to stop rising damp. How do they know when the liquid has formed a distant barrier around the brickwork?

Should the liquid be pumped into the brickwork or the mortar joint?

A clue with the answer, think where you typically drill the holes.


But, the specialist damp proof company surveyor used a damp proof meter and showed me there was rising damp

Various Cliparts Clipart

This is always an interesting question, as the damp proof meters can detect all sorts of things as well as rising damp. The electronic damp meters that they use are conductivity meters and measure the conductivity of electricity through materials, which vary. These damp proof meters, commonly known by the most popular trade name of Protimeter, have usually been set up to diagnose dampness based upon wood and therefore use what is known as the wood differential scale.

First of all you need to look to see if it has been used on any other material but timber. Secondly, you have understand how to interpret the readings; both if it is being used on timber or other materials, such as plaster, paintwork, etc, and thirdly you need to check that the damp proof specialist surveyor hasn't got his fingers over the conductivity pin to make the unit ring!


Interestingly, we have heard it argued that in a house any moisture that is in the air would be heavier and therefore settle to the lower part of the house, and therefore the lower part of the wall causing condensation, so this is what is being detected.

Electronic damp meters, commonly known as Protimeters

It should be remembered that the meters were designed to test for dampness in timber and they are frequently used to test for dampness in plaster, although a wood differential scale has been used. There is also the possibility of the damp proof meter conducting with any metal that is nearby, such as foil backed plasterboard, or pipes in the wall and there is always the chance that the damp proof specialist surveyor has accidentally put his hand against the damp proof meter and obtained a reading that way.
Using a Protometer

Example of wrongly diagnosed rising damp

We have actually seen one case of rising damp that wasn't rising damp in an old property, which had been extended and altered over the years, and which has resulted in large areas of roofing discharging onto other large areas of roof (these being the extensions), which in turn made the gutters overflow whenever it rained heavily and discharge down the wall. This water coming down the wall met up with all the water coming off the garden where it had been paved and the nearby driveway where it had been paved, and this all resulted in water sitting against the base of the wall.

The effect was the rising damp in this case, the cause was the overflowing gutters, the patio and the driveway discharging the water against the walls.

Please see our articles dampness for a more detailed view.



Commonly, condensation is misdiagnosed as rising damp. Several clues to condensation: if there is a lot of humidity in the room and not very much ventilation, such as in a bathroom or a shower, where there isn't an extract fan, then it is likely to be condensation. If you can see a blackness to the walls, which some people would describe as mould, this is also condensation. The solution is to improve ventilation, which is ironic when we spend so much time and effort in modern properties stopping ventilation with plastic windows, doors, etc. Another way of getting rid of condensation, along with ventilation, is to add insulation.

Taking a damp meter reading

Lateral dampness, also known as penetrating damp or falling damp, as it is often caused by rain

This is where dampness comes through the wall and could be, for example, a rusted or cracked cast iron guttering or downpipe. We have also seen it where water has been held by ivy on the property and this causes spalling brickwork by the freeze thaw action of the water expanding and contracting as it freezes and thaws. We have found this quite frequently on Victorian and Edwardian properties close to bay windows, where the original two inch downpipe has either been blocked or replaced badly and is allowing dampness in. Therefore, this is an area that is worth looking at if this is the type of property you have.



Dampness to valley gutters

Equally, we have found dampness to the valley gutter areas, where it can get into the walls, particularly where there is, for example, a butterfly roof, which leads into a hopper head, and this can often overflow and cause the water to discharge down the wall. Unfortunately, or should we say fortunately, there is a relatively easy way of checking this, that is next time it is raining hard you need to go outside and inspect how the gutters and downpipes are dealing with the water.
Valley gutter

Leaking pipes

This can relate to anything from a leaking radiator pipe or radiators, to a leaking hot and cold water supply pipe, to leaking drainage pipes, to the tails of old disused piping set within the wall. With the exception of the radiator pipes, where we have seen minor leaks, we haven't seen any major leaks in these areas over the many years we have been carrying out surveys and we certainly haven't knowingly seen any damp from leaking pipes. We have heard of pinhole leaks in radiator pipes that have occurred, although we haven't actually seen it, due to a cheap supply of piping that came over to the country many years ago.


The area where we have seen problems is with regard to defects in the drainage, particularly in Victorian and Edwardian properties, where drains have leaked over many years and this has resulted in movement in the property and the leaking water has forced its way into the property. In one particular case it was actually the drains from the neighbouring property that was causing the problem and there was an excessive amount of groundwater pressure that was forcing it up in the kitchen on the party/shared wall.

We did once see an excellent video which showed how an outside water supply for the garden had expanded and contracted due to the cold, causing cracks within the wall.


Independent expert property advice

If you truly do want an independent expert opinion from a surveyor with regard to structural surveys, building surveys, structural reports, engineers reports, specific defects report, dampness issues, dilapidations, home buyers reports or any other property matters please contact 0800 298 5424 for a surveyor to give you a call back.


Independent expert commercial advice

If you have a commercial property, be it leasehold or freehold, then you may wish to look at our Dilapidations Website at and for Disputes go to our Disputes Help site .


We hope this dampness article has made you think

We hope you found the article of use and if you have any experiences that you feel should be added to this article that would benefit others, or you feel that some of the information that we have put is wrong then please do not hesitate to contact us (we are only human).

The contents of the web site are for general information only and is not intended to be relied upon for specific or general decisions. Appropriate independent professional advice should be paid for before making such a decision.

All rights are reserved the contents of the web site is not to be reproduced or transmitted in any form in whole or part without the express written permission of


Dampness in Buildings - Basics Article

Dampness in Buildings - Technical Article

Resolving Dampness in your Basement


Shared Freehold and Problems with Dampness

Dampness Defects Report

Dampness Problems

Damp Meters

Please see our section on:

Specific Defects Reports


If you require any information about Dampness in Properties please telephone us for help and advice0800 298 5424



Home Buyers Reports Property Surveys - why we're the best. Engineers Reports
© Copyright
Site Map

1stassociated-logo-for-footer IVSA-badge IVSA-putting-client-first call-us-for-footer

We have thousands of free property articles to help you - or call us freephone on 0800 298 5424

We have been working in the property industry for many years and have been
providing free property articles for over ten years. All for free and to help you with buying your next property.

House and Home Surveys and Useful Information

All you need to know about Building Surveys

Building Control, what do they do?

Designers and Architects will they save me money or will they cost me money

Enviroment, Your Building and Garden Gnomes

Estate Agents help sell houses and work for the vendors

Have a Structural Survey to protect you against structural problems

Home improvements, builder problems and ideas for you on how to solve them

How a Surveyor values a property, Chartered Surveyors and Regulated Valuers

How Chartered Engineers and Building Engineers can help you

Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas

NHBC National House Building Council

Structural Surveys and How We Can Help You

Traditional and Non-Traditional Houses and Mortgage Problems

Valuations and how much is the building worth?

Whats the difference between a Chartered Building Surveyor, Chartered Surveyor and an Independent Surveyor

Useful property problem articles by Chartered Surveyors explaining building issues to avoid

External - Helpful information on building problems on the outside of the property

Chimney issues and problems

Cracking and Movement Problems and Surveying Solutions

Flat Roof Problems, how we can solve them

Foundations and Structures and Settlement and Subsidence and Underpinning

Pitched Roofs Problems and Solutions

Roof Problems

Wall Problems

Windows and Doors and Fascias and Soffits and Wet Rot and Dry Rot and other problems

Internal - House problems we have investigated inside

All you ever need to know about floors

Asbestos in your home, what you need to know

Ceiling Cracks and Structural Problems

Condensation, Damp and Black Mould Problems

Cracking and Movement Problems and Surveying Solutions

Windows and Doors and Fascias and Soffits and Wet Rot and Dry Rot and other problems

Woodworm is it a problem or not? Is it active or not?

Services - Building help and advice on costly services

Drainage, what's underground can affect what's above ground

Heating; I just can't get my house warm enough or alternatively I just can't get my house cool enough

You can't mess around with the electric, you need an expert


Commercial Property Services

Building Terms Explained and Directories

Commercial Property Surveys

Commercial Structural Surveys

Leisure Facilites

Offices Large and Small

Shops and Retail

Warehouse and Industrial Buildings

Dilapidations Help and Advice What is a Dilapidations Notice?

A Beginner's Guide to Dilaps

Damp Mould and Condensation

Dampness Rising Damp Mould Black Mould Condensation

Dilapidations and Negotiations

Dilapidations Claim by a Landlord

Energy Saving what can I do?

Finance what is a Financial Adviser (We are not Financial Advisors)

Fire Risk and Help

Health and Safety Risks

Insurance how do I get the correct property insurance?

Landlords Surveying Advice

Property Investment how can I invest in property?

Property TV Reviews by an Independent Surveyor

Schedules of Condition Leasing a Commercial Property

Scotts Schedule and Section 18 Valuation

Tenants Surveying Advice

Weather how does weather affect my property?



Snow and Ice

Strong Winds

Reviews from clients on Commercial Building Surveys

Churches and Charities, helpful reviews from our clients

Industrial Buildings and Warehouses and what our clients say about us

Offices Large and Small, reviews and feedback from our clients

Pubs, Restaurants, Hotels and other Leisure facilities we have surveyed over the years

Shops and Retail, helpful reviews from our clients


First Time Buyers

Buying a Leasehold or Shared Freehold Home

Buying and Selling Houses for the experienced house and home purchaser

First Time Buyers how do I go about buying my first house and home?

Improve your property knowledge with our presentations on house, homes and commercial property

Building Surveys

Building Surveying Useful Information


Dilapidations Presentations in Detail

Final Year Building Surveying Exams for University Students or those that would like to know more

How old is your Building? Which era was it built in?

Party Walls

Surveyors and Design Tools

Disputes and Party Walls

Boundary Disputes

Building and Property Disputes

Party Wall Book Reviews

Party Walls Your Rights and Responsibilities

1stAssociated Surveyors Review for Structural Surveys and Building Surveys

Building Surveys, reviews and feedback from satisfied customers

Buy to let property clients, what they say about our structural surveys

Buying at auction, review of the survey

Buying bungalows and retirement properties and how our surveyors can help

Both at work / busy couples, how we can help and some 1stAssociated client reviews

Families with a young person flying the nest, reviews and feedback

First Time Buyers, what they say about us

Listed buildings, structural surveys

Older buildings, a review of buying an older house

Families with children looking for a new home, feedback and reviews

Buying a Non-Traditional Property

Residential Surveys

House and Home Surveys

Commercial Building Surveys

Commercial Surveys

1st Associated Surveyors Are Also Available in the Following Areas:

East Anglia and East

South and South East

West Country and South West


North and North East



London Markets

London Parks



Areas of Britain

1stAssociated Independent Expert Property Surveyors

Specialists in Home Buyers Reports, Building Surveys and Structural Surveys and Schedules of Condition

All Surveyors are Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors qualified and RICS regulated

and are Members of the Independent Surveyors and Valuers Association

Putting the Client First

We do not accept service of documents by email or fax