building valuations


Damp Walls


We can provide help and advice with regard to property surveys, building surveys, structural surveys, dampness reports, structural reports, engineers reports, or any other property matters.

We like to meet you at the property during the survey and we are more than happy to talk to you about the reports. Please free phone 0800 298 5424 for a friendly chat with one of our surveyors.

Free phone 0800 298 5424

Damp walls, or should we have called it damp through walls?

The technical term often used for damp coming through walls is lateral dampness, which is used in the building and surveying industry and simply means dampness coming through the walls. There are several reasons for this. Let us start at the top of the property and look down.


Getting independent advice

We would not recommend asking a damp proofing company (often known as specialists) if a property needs damp proofing, as this is what they sell!

Equally, whilst it may have a damp problem their solution (we are assuming they insert a damp proof course into the wall) may not be the one your property wants. This is why we would recommend independent advice.


Dampness coming in via the chimneys

Chimneys are probably the most exposed element of a property and, due to their location, not regularly checked. Indeed, many chimneys are difficult to even view. A close up view of a chimney by someone who knows what they are looking for and who will be able to identify if there are any problems and, we would also add, doesn't have a vested interest in telling you there needs to be some work.

This is a close up view of a chimney on a three storey property that has been zoomed in by an optical digital camera with a x16 magnification
Chimney in need of repointing


The most important thing is having the knowledge to know where to look, as the dampness within the property literally cannot be seen.

Efflorescence to the inside of a chimney breast.
Dampness being identified to a chimney breast using a damp meter, but you have to know how to use a damp meter properly

Efflorescence Defined

This is where salts appear on the surface of the brickwork in a white dust or crystal formation.


Dampness coming from gutters and downpipes

Frequently we find problems with gutters and downpipes. These can be very basic problems, such as a need to clear the gutters and downpipes, or maintain them in the case of cast iron, which often has not been maintained and therefore rusted. We would not necessarily advocate their replacement with plastic, as cast iron correctly maintained can last far longer than plastic and has many good properties.

Sometimes where plastic meets cast iron there can also be a leak.
The end cap of the gutter is missing, which means that the water discharges onto the wall beneath causing the wall to need repointing.


Dampness due to repointing being needed

The last example shows how leaking gutters can cause the repointing to accelerate and dampness getting into the property. However, also over the years weathering of the mortar can be a problem.

Weathering can be seen to the brickwork to the right hand side of this photograph
This is the effect of a leaking gutter. The pen is literally sitting in the joint where it has been worn away by leaking water from the gutter.


Plants growing on buildings can cause dampness to come through

Sometimes plants on buildings cause dampness to come through into the property and should be removed/cut back
Plants growing on buildings

Combination of Problems

You can of course have a combination of several of these problems, which is more difficult to diagnose.


Common Problems

Here we have only looked at a sample of the common problems that we come across and we must add that even if you actually solve the problem correctly your damp wall will not become a dry wall quickly as it takes time to dry out. In a world of instant solutions this is sometimes difficult for people to accept/understand, or want to understand.


Please contact us for help and advice on dampness issues, wall matters, surveys, building surveys, structural reports, engineers reports, specific defects report, structural surveys, home buyers reports or any other property matters on 0800 298 5424 and a surveyor will ring you back to discuss this further.

If you would like Dilaps Help then please visit our

website and for Disputes go to our Disputes Help site .

We hope you found the article of use and if you have any experiences that you feel should be added to this article that would benefit others, or you feel that some of the information that we have put is wrong then please do not hesitate to contact us (we are only human).

The contents of the web site are for general information only and is not intended to be relied upon for specific or general decisions. Appropriate independent professional advice should be paid for before making such a decision.

All rights are reserved the contents of the web site is not to be reproduced or transmitted in any form in whole or part without the express written permission of


Dampness in Buildings - Basics Article

Dampness in Buildings - Technical Article

Resolving Dampness in your Basement


Shared Freehold and Problems with Dampness

Dampness Defects Report

Dampness Problems

Please see our section on:

Specific Defects Reports


If you require any information about Dampness in

Properties please telephone us for help and advice

0800 298 5424



Home Buyers Reports Property Surveys - why we're the best. Engineers Reports
© Copyright
Site Map

1stassociated-logo-for-footer IVSA-badge IVSA-putting-client-first call-us-for-footer

We have thousands of free property articles to help you - or call us freephone on 0800 298 5424

We have been working in the property industry for many years and have been
providing free property articles for over ten years. All for free and to help you with buying your next property.

House and Home Surveys and Useful Information

All you need to know about Building Surveys

Building Control, what do they do?

Designers and Architects will they save me money or will they cost me money

Enviroment, Your Building and Garden Gnomes

Estate Agents help sell houses and work for the vendors

Have a Structural Survey to protect you against structural problems

Home improvements, builder problems and ideas for you on how to solve them

How a Surveyor values a property, Chartered Surveyors and Regulated Valuers

How Chartered Engineers and Building Engineers can help you

Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas

NHBC National House Building Council

Structural Surveys and How We Can Help You

Traditional and Non-Traditional Houses and Mortgage Problems

Valuations and how much is the building worth?

Whats the difference between a Chartered Building Surveyor, Chartered Surveyor and an Independent Surveyor

Useful property problem articles by Chartered Surveyors explaining building issues to avoid

External - Helpful information on building problems on the outside of the property

Chimney issues and problems

Cracking and Movement Problems and Surveying Solutions

Flat Roof Problems, how we can solve them

Foundations and Structures and Settlement and Subsidence and Underpinning

Pitched Roofs Problems and Solutions

Roof Problems

Wall Problems

Windows and Doors and Fascias and Soffits and Wet Rot and Dry Rot and other problems

Internal - House problems we have investigated inside

All you ever need to know about floors

Asbestos in your home, what you need to know

Ceiling Cracks and Structural Problems

Condensation, Damp and Black Mould Problems

Cracking and Movement Problems and Surveying Solutions

Windows and Doors and Fascias and Soffits and Wet Rot and Dry Rot and other problems

Woodworm is it a problem or not? Is it active or not?

Services - Building help and advice on costly services

Drainage, what's underground can affect what's above ground

Heating; I just can't get my house warm enough or alternatively I just can't get my house cool enough

You can't mess around with the electric, you need an expert


Commercial Property Services

Building Terms Explained and Directories

Commercial Property Surveys

Commercial Structural Surveys

Leisure Facilites

Offices Large and Small

Shops and Retail

Warehouse and Industrial Buildings

Dilapidations Help and Advice What is a Dilapidations Notice?

A Beginner's Guide to Dilaps

Damp Mould and Condensation

Dampness Rising Damp Mould Black Mould Condensation

Dilapidations and Negotiations

Dilapidations Claim by a Landlord

Energy Saving what can I do?

Finance what is a Financial Adviser (We are not Financial Advisors)

Fire Risk and Help

Health and Safety Risks

Insurance how do I get the correct property insurance?

Landlords Surveying Advice

Property Investment how can I invest in property?

Property TV Reviews by an Independent Surveyor

Schedules of Condition Leasing a Commercial Property

Scotts Schedule and Section 18 Valuation

Tenants Surveying Advice

Weather how does weather affect my property?



Snow and Ice

Strong Winds

Reviews from clients on Commercial Building Surveys

Churches and Charities, helpful reviews from our clients

Industrial Buildings and Warehouses and what our clients say about us

Offices Large and Small, reviews and feedback from our clients

Pubs, Restaurants, Hotels and other Leisure facilities we have surveyed over the years

Shops and Retail, helpful reviews from our clients


First Time Buyers

Buying a Leasehold or Shared Freehold Home

Buying and Selling Houses for the experienced house and home purchaser

First Time Buyers how do I go about buying my first house and home?

Improve your property knowledge with our presentations on house, homes and commercial property

Building Surveys

Building Surveying Useful Information


Dilapidations Presentations in Detail

Final Year Building Surveying Exams for University Students or those that would like to know more

How old is your Building? Which era was it built in?

Party Walls

Surveyors and Design Tools

Disputes and Party Walls

Boundary Disputes

Building and Property Disputes

Party Wall Book Reviews

Party Walls Your Rights and Responsibilities

1stAssociated Surveyors Review for Structural Surveys and Building Surveys

Building Surveys, reviews and feedback from satisfied customers

Buy to let property clients, what they say about our structural surveys

Buying at auction, review of the survey

Buying bungalows and retirement properties and how our surveyors can help

Both at work / busy couples, how we can help and some 1stAssociated client reviews

Families with a young person flying the nest, reviews and feedback

First Time Buyers, what they say about us

Listed buildings, structural surveys

Older buildings, a review of buying an older house

Families with children looking for a new home, feedback and reviews

Buying a Non-Traditional Property

Residential Surveys

House and Home Surveys

Commercial Building Surveys

Commercial Surveys

1st Associated Surveyors Are Also Available in the Following Areas:

East Anglia and East

South and South East

West Country and South West


North and North East



London Markets

London Parks



Areas of Britain

1stAssociated Independent Expert Property Surveyors

Specialists in Home Buyers Reports, Building Surveys and Structural Surveys and Schedules of Condition

All Surveyors are Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors qualified and RICS regulated

and are Members of the Independent Surveyors and Valuers Association

Putting the Client First

We do not accept service of documents by email or fax