Landlords What Can We Do For You?


We market the services of independent Surveyors. Surveyors pride themselves on a high standard of work. We can offer Schedules of Condition with regard to leases , Property Reports, Schedules of Dilapidations, Section 18 Valuations, Scott Schedules, Commercial Building Surveys, Structural Reports, Specific Defects Reports. Note these are not for bank lending but are to advise you how much we feel the property is really worth. If you have a property problem we may even already have written an article on it and we would refer you to the many articles we have on our home page use independent surveyors who are more than happy to chat. Please Free phone us on 0800 298 5424 and surveyor will call you back.

Free phone 0800 298 5424

Landlords, what can we do for you?

As a landlord and owner of property that is leased to a third party we offer various services that can help protect your assets and ultimately lead to growth in both the value of the property and the income stream. There are various phases where we offer advice and we would comment that the surveyors offering advice are also landlords and tenants (or have been in the past).


Investment purchases

Investment purchases for property

We can offer advice at the investment purchase stage, both on the structural condition of the property and future maintenance issues or liabilities. Examples of the sort of things that we found in the past would be asbestos roofs that need replacing, awkward and difficult valley gutters, discrepancies with boundaries, and service charges for shared access roads.

We have also found unusual drainage systems; in one case we found a holding tank underneath part of a property, which was used for holding flooding water and have also encountered structural problems, some of them are acceptable within the client's risk criteria and some not!

There are numerous other things; all of which we advise you in the action required and the associated costs and help you with the negotiation process if you so wish.


Renting out the property


We can offer advice with regard to adaptations and alterations that may be needed in renting out a property. We can also offer advice on extensions and alterations and obtain planning permission and project manage and cost manage the work. This type of work can range from anything from adding a mezzanine floor, carrying out alterations to meet the DDA (Disability Discrimination Act) requirements to advice on insulating the property and looking at total running costs. We use thermal imaging equipment.

We can even help with branding and signage design, obtaining planning permission and all the usual nuts and bolt type things that surveyors and designers do we feel do offer a reality check and cost control, which can be so essential with property, as costs tend to run away.


Thermal image of a roof with the red showing the heat loss
  Thermal image of a roof with the red showing the heat loss

Managing your rented property

We can offer advice on your legal position with regard to the Landlord and Tenant Act. If you do get a difficult tenant we can prepare interim Schedules of Condition and negotiate and manage works required and can help put you in a better position in a difficult situation.


Property coming to the end of the lease

We can help you with the dilapidations process when the property is coming to the end of the lease

Where we have specialist knowledge is with the dilapidations process. We can advise you based on your lease and actions throughout the term of the lease, what would be a realistic claim and do a Schedule of Dilapidations and compare these to the appropriate surveyors Guide Lines and Property Act Protocol to make sure that, in a worst case scenario, if this does go to court then you will be in the best possible position.

However, the Protocol has very much been written to avoid dilapidations going to court (we are advised that it is now less than five per cent). Therefore negotiated agreements are the order of the day, usually utilising Scotts Schedules, very much aimed to put you in the position you want to be at the end of a dilapidations claim, whether it is the tenant carrying out the work to a good standard. Experienced landlords will be familiar with the minimum quality repairs that are often carried out at the end of the lease by the lessee or tenant. Equally, we don't look for unrealistic Rolls Royce standard repairs as legally this wouldn't hold up in the courts; we look for appropriate repairs for the property's market and the area in which it is located. We are also happy to negotiate a monthly settlement if the landlord so requires, often with our fees included in this.


An example of a claim


If you look around our website you will see examples of the work we do in the Compare Our Surveys' section.

We would finally just add the importance of Section 18. We have had experience in this and we are happy to negotiate or project manage any Section 18 claims which may be made against you as part of the Schedule of Dilapidations and of course we will keep you informed as things progress.

You may be interested in our other articles:


Dilapidations Negotiations (Landlord or Landlords Surveyor not Acting Fairly)

Lease Negotiations with your Landlord

Dilapidations Section 18 Valuation

Dilapidations for Landlords and Investors including an example of a Scotts Schedule

Landlord's View on a New Business Taking on a Lease

What the Landlord wants in a Tenant

Landlords What do they Look For in an Investment Property?

Landlords What do they Look for in Industrial Properties?

Landlords, can you have too good a retail tenant?

Landlords, can you have too good an industrial tenant?


If you need help and advice with regard to leases, dilapidations, schedules of condition, dilaps claims, scott schedules, building surveys, structural reports, engineers reports, specific defects report, structural surveys, home buyers reports or any other property matter please free phone 0800 298 5424 for a friendly chat. Please note we are independent surveyors.

If you would like Dilapidations Help then please visit our website and for Disputes go to our Disputes Help site .

We hope you found the article of use and if you have any experiences that you feel should be added to this article that would benefit others, or you feel that some of the information that we have put is wrong then please do not hesitate to contact us (we are only human).

The contents of the web site are for general information only and is not intended to be relied upon for specific or general decisions. Appropriate independent professional advice should be paid for before making such a decision

All rights are reserved the contents of the web site is not to be reproduced or transmitted in any form in whole or part without the express written permission of


building engineers

Home Buyers Reports Property Surveys - why we're the best. Engineers Reports
© Copyright

1stassociated-logo-for-footer IVSA-badge IVSA-putting-client-first call-us-for-footer

We have thousands of free property articles to help you - or call us freephone on 0800 298 5424

We have been working in the property industry for many years and have been
providing free property articles for over ten years. All for free and to help you with buying your next property.

House and Home Surveys and Useful Information

All you need to know about Building Surveys

Building Control, what do they do?

Designers and Architects will they save me money or will they cost me money

Enviroment, Your Building and Garden Gnomes

Estate Agents help sell houses and work for the vendors

Have a Structural Survey to protect you against structural problems

Home improvements, builder problems and ideas for you on how to solve them

How a Surveyor values a property, Chartered Surveyors and Regulated Valuers

How Chartered Engineers and Building Engineers can help you

Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas

NHBC National House Building Council

Structural Surveys and How We Can Help You

Traditional and Non-Traditional Houses and Mortgage Problems

Valuations and how much is the building worth?

Whats the difference between a Chartered Building Surveyor, Chartered Surveyor and an Independent Surveyor

Useful property problem articles by Chartered Surveyors explaining building issues to avoid

External - Helpful information on building problems on the outside of the property

Chimney issues and problems

Cracking and Movement Problems and Surveying Solutions

Flat Roof Problems, how we can solve them

Foundations and Structures and Settlement and Subsidence and Underpinning

Pitched Roofs Problems and Solutions

Roof Problems

Wall Problems

Windows and Doors and Fascias and Soffits and Wet Rot and Dry Rot and other problems

Internal - House problems we have investigated inside

All you ever need to know about floors

Asbestos in your home, what you need to know

Ceiling Cracks and Structural Problems

Condensation, Damp and Black Mould Problems

Cracking and Movement Problems and Surveying Solutions

Windows and Doors and Fascias and Soffits and Wet Rot and Dry Rot and other problems

Woodworm is it a problem or not? Is it active or not?

Services - Building help and advice on costly services

Drainage, what's underground can affect what's above ground

Heating; I just can't get my house warm enough or alternatively I just can't get my house cool enough

You can't mess around with the electric, you need an expert


Commercial Property Services

Building Terms Explained and Directories

Commercial Property Surveys

Commercial Structural Surveys

Leisure Facilites

Offices Large and Small

Shops and Retail

Warehouse and Industrial Buildings

Dilapidations Help and Advice What is a Dilapidations Notice?

A Beginner's Guide to Dilaps

Damp Mould and Condensation

Dampness Rising Damp Mould Black Mould Condensation

Dilapidations and Negotiations

Dilapidations Claim by a Landlord

Energy Saving what can I do?

Finance what is a Financial Adviser (We are not Financial Advisors)

Fire Risk and Help

Health and Safety Risks

Insurance how do I get the correct property insurance?

Landlords Surveying Advice

Property Investment how can I invest in property?

Property TV Reviews by an Independent Surveyor

Schedules of Condition Leasing a Commercial Property

Scotts Schedule and Section 18 Valuation

Tenants Surveying Advice

Weather how does weather affect my property?



Snow and Ice

Strong Winds

Reviews from clients on Commercial Building Surveys

Churches and Charities, helpful reviews from our clients

Industrial Buildings and Warehouses and what our clients say about us

Offices Large and Small, reviews and feedback from our clients

Pubs, Restaurants, Hotels and other Leisure facilities we have surveyed over the years

Shops and Retail, helpful reviews from our clients


First Time Buyers

Buying a Leasehold or Shared Freehold Home

Buying and Selling Houses for the experienced house and home purchaser

First Time Buyers how do I go about buying my first house and home?

Improve your property knowledge with our presentations on house, homes and commercial property

Building Surveys

Building Surveying Useful Information


Dilapidations Presentations in Detail

Final Year Building Surveying Exams for University Students or those that would like to know more

How old is your Building? Which era was it built in?

Party Walls

Surveyors and Design Tools

Disputes and Party Walls

Boundary Disputes

Building and Property Disputes

Party Wall Book Reviews

Party Walls Your Rights and Responsibilities

1stAssociated Surveyors Review for Structural Surveys and Building Surveys

Building Surveys, reviews and feedback from satisfied customers

Buy to let property clients, what they say about our structural surveys

Buying at auction, review of the survey

Buying bungalows and retirement properties and how our surveyors can help

Both at work / busy couples, how we can help and some 1stAssociated client reviews

Families with a young person flying the nest, reviews and feedback

First Time Buyers, what they say about us

Listed buildings, structural surveys

Older buildings, a review of buying an older house

Families with children looking for a new home, feedback and reviews

Buying a Non-Traditional Property

Residential Surveys

House and Home Surveys

Commercial Building Surveys

Commercial Surveys

1st Associated Surveyors Are Also Available in the Following Areas:

East Anglia and East

South and South East

West Country and South West


North and North East



London Markets

London Parks



Areas of Britain

1stAssociated Independent Expert Property Surveyors

Specialists in Home Buyers Reports, Building Surveys and Structural Surveys and Schedules of Condition

All Surveyors are Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors qualified and RICS regulated

and are Members of the Independent Surveyors and Valuers Association

Putting the Client First

We do not accept service of documents by email or fax