Will a Section 18 Valuation

save me from a large costly

Dilapidations Claim?


We market the services of independent Surveyors. Surveyors pride themselves on a high standard of work. We can offer Schedules of Condition with regard to leases , Property Reports, Schedules of Dilapidations, Section 18 Valuations, Scott Schedules, Commercial Building Surveys, Structural Reports, Specific Defects Reports. Note these are not for bank lending but are to advise you how much we feel the property is really worth. If you have a property problem we may even already have written an article on it and we would refer you to the many articles we have on our home page 1stAssociated.co.uk. use independent surveyors who are more than happy to chat. Please Free phone us on 0800 298 5424 and surveyor will call you back.

As we have said before, there are only a few things certain in life and that, apart from death and taxes, dilapidations claims are a certainty yet they always come as a surprise. It no doubt crosses many leaseholders minds when they have had a costly dilapidation served upon them at the end of their lease, is there is cheaper way of getting out of all these costly repairs?

At the end of the lease, known as the lease termination, when the leaseholder/business owner is asked to return the property (yield up) and a dilapidations schedule is served asking for further repairs to be carried out, or improvements on the improvements (as we once heard it described) and enough is enough and there must be a better way of dealing with a dilapidations claim.

Free phone 0800 298 5424

Dilapidations problems

We often come across the situation where the business owner is very keen to move his business forward has taken on business premises leasehold that is in poor condition and carried out repairs and improvements to make it into much better condition (on promises so we are told), etc, from the landlord or the landlord's agents of rent free periods, which never materialise.


Is A Section 18 valuation a way out of a dilapidations claim?

Often when business owners/leaseholders hear about a Section 18 valuation they feel it is the answer to all of their prayers as it, broadly speaking, limits the size of the landlord's claim by what is known as the diminution in value, which is the difference in cost that the dilapidations make to the rentable level of the property.

A Section 18 valuation is really two valuations; that of the market value of the property if it was in a state of repair as set out within the lease, and a value of the property as it is. The difference being the limit on money the landlord can receive, although we have to add that every case is individual and subject to legal interpretation and negotiation.


Explain to me how a section 18 valuation may work as I have a dilapidations claim against me

When the landlord presents you with a dilapidations claim we would recommend that you first of all need to appoint a surveyor that specialises in dilapidations claims (and we know we are biased being surveyors but it is often the best money you will spend!) to give an overview of your situation and discuss the various options available to you. Most importantly, this does require your input and for you both to ensure (that's yourself and the surveyor) that your end goals are understood and your needs and requirements are understood also. Only with these things in mind can the specialist surveyor advise you correctly.

We would expect advice from a specialist surveyor to include a comment on the quality and validity of the dilapidations claim that has been made, together with the cost implications. This will depend, to some extent, upon the information that you can provide to the specialist dilapidations surveyor. This could include everything from:


  An original Schedule of Condition

  Any side letters

  Any written approvals to alter the property or drawings

  Any photographic evidence you have of the condition of the property

  And any information you have upon the original condition of the property.


This will, subject to your type of lease, help identify your liability and the associated costs. If the dilapidations costs are large then it may be that a Section 18 valuation may be less than these costs. Expect the surveyor to advise you upon these.


There is an element of risk with a Section 18 valuation (business risk) in that if the landlord does not agree with the figures provided and court action is taken, and the outcome is not in your favour, this will then mean that you will have increased the landlord's costs, which in turn will be passed to yourself. Just to spell this out and make it absolutely clear that means that your costs will include not only the dilapidations claim that you didn't originally agree with, but also the costs of your landlord for fighting against your claim and also your own costs for making the claim. To break this down you will also incur:



  the landlord's costs in making the claim and in fighting against your counter-claim

  your costs in assessing the initial claim and making a counter-claim

  usually the costs of a specialist valuer

  court costs

  rental costs for the property, if you haven't yielded up within the required time

So a great deal of thought, discussion and tactical knowledge needs to take place before the Section 18 valuation route is taken unless it is a clear cut example. However, we don't believe there is such a thing as a clear cut example as there is always an element or risk.


Can I use a Section 18 valuation to negotiate with?

The simple answer is yes, but this is where the skill of the negotiation takes place, as both parties know that to take the negotiations to court requires a different level of commitment and to those in the negotiation, particularly for the tenant if the case is not clear cut. We would add that, relatively speaking, the Section 18 is a new area of dilapidations and you do need to deal with specialists who have experience in this area.




Please contact us for help and advice with regard to dilapidations, dilaps claims, negotiations, Section 18 valuations, schedules of condition, break clauses, scott schedules, surveys, building surveys, structural reports, engineers reports, specific defects report, structural surveys, home buyers reports or any other property matters on 0800 298 5424 and a surveyor will ring you back to discuss this further. Please note we are independent surveyors.

If you would like Dilaps Help then please visit our www.DilapsHelp.com website and for Disputes go to our Disputes Help site www.DisputesHelp.com .

We hope you found the article of use and if you have any experiences that you feel should be added to this article that would benefit others, or you feel that some of the information that we have put is wrong then please do not hesitate to contact us (we are only human).

The contents of the web site are for general information only and is not intended to be relied upon for specific or general decisions. Appropriate independent professional advice should be paid for before making such a decision.

All rights are reserved the contents of the web site is not to be reproduced or transmitted in any form in whole or part without the express written permission of 1stAssociated.co.uk.

We have produced a number of articles and book reviews on dilapidations, for more information go to:

Information on Dilapidations



building engineers

Home Buyers Reports Property Surveys - why we're the best. Engineers Reports
© Copyright 1stassociated.co.uk

1stassociated-logo-for-footer IVSA-badge IVSA-putting-client-first call-us-for-footer

We have thousands of free property articles to help you - or call us freephone on 0800 298 5424

We have been working in the property industry for many years and have been
providing free property articles for over ten years. All for free and to help you with buying your next property.

House and Home Surveys and Useful Information

All you need to know about Building Surveys

Building Control, what do they do?

Designers and Architects will they save me money or will they cost me money

Enviroment, Your Building and Garden Gnomes

Estate Agents help sell houses and work for the vendors

Have a Structural Survey to protect you against structural problems

Home improvements, builder problems and ideas for you on how to solve them

How a Surveyor values a property, Chartered Surveyors and Regulated Valuers

How Chartered Engineers and Building Engineers can help you

Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas

NHBC National House Building Council

Structural Surveys and How We Can Help You

Traditional and Non-Traditional Houses and Mortgage Problems

Valuations and how much is the building worth?

Whats the difference between a Chartered Building Surveyor, Chartered Surveyor and an Independent Surveyor

Useful property problem articles by Chartered Surveyors explaining building issues to avoid

External - Helpful information on building problems on the outside of the property

Chimney issues and problems

Cracking and Movement Problems and Surveying Solutions

Flat Roof Problems, how we can solve them

Foundations and Structures and Settlement and Subsidence and Underpinning

Pitched Roofs Problems and Solutions

Roof Problems

Wall Problems

Windows and Doors and Fascias and Soffits and Wet Rot and Dry Rot and other problems

Internal - House problems we have investigated inside

All you ever need to know about floors

Asbestos in your home, what you need to know

Ceiling Cracks and Structural Problems

Condensation, Damp and Black Mould Problems

Cracking and Movement Problems and Surveying Solutions

Windows and Doors and Fascias and Soffits and Wet Rot and Dry Rot and other problems

Woodworm is it a problem or not? Is it active or not?

Services - Building help and advice on costly services

Drainage, what's underground can affect what's above ground

Heating; I just can't get my house warm enough or alternatively I just can't get my house cool enough

You can't mess around with the electric, you need an expert


Commercial Property Services

Building Terms Explained and Directories

Commercial Property Surveys

Commercial Structural Surveys

Leisure Facilites

Offices Large and Small

Shops and Retail

Warehouse and Industrial Buildings

Dilapidations Help and Advice What is a Dilapidations Notice?

A Beginner's Guide to Dilaps

Damp Mould and Condensation

Dampness Rising Damp Mould Black Mould Condensation

Dilapidations and Negotiations

Dilapidations Claim by a Landlord

Energy Saving what can I do?

Finance what is a Financial Adviser (We are not Financial Advisors)

Fire Risk and Help

Health and Safety Risks

Insurance how do I get the correct property insurance?

Landlords Surveying Advice

Property Investment how can I invest in property?

Property TV Reviews by an Independent Surveyor

Schedules of Condition Leasing a Commercial Property

Scotts Schedule and Section 18 Valuation

Tenants Surveying Advice

Weather how does weather affect my property?



Snow and Ice

Strong Winds

Reviews from clients on Commercial Building Surveys

Churches and Charities, helpful reviews from our clients

Industrial Buildings and Warehouses and what our clients say about us

Offices Large and Small, reviews and feedback from our clients

Pubs, Restaurants, Hotels and other Leisure facilities we have surveyed over the years

Shops and Retail, helpful reviews from our clients


First Time Buyers

Buying a Leasehold or Shared Freehold Home

Buying and Selling Houses for the experienced house and home purchaser

First Time Buyers how do I go about buying my first house and home?

Improve your property knowledge with our presentations on house, homes and commercial property

Building Surveys

Building Surveying Useful Information


Dilapidations Presentations in Detail

Final Year Building Surveying Exams for University Students or those that would like to know more

How old is your Building? Which era was it built in?

Party Walls

Surveyors and Design Tools

Disputes and Party Walls

Boundary Disputes

Building and Property Disputes

Party Wall Book Reviews

Party Walls Your Rights and Responsibilities

1stAssociated Surveyors Review for Structural Surveys and Building Surveys

Building Surveys, reviews and feedback from satisfied customers

Buy to let property clients, what they say about our structural surveys

Buying at auction, review of the survey

Buying bungalows and retirement properties and how our surveyors can help

Both at work / busy couples, how we can help and some 1stAssociated client reviews

Families with a young person flying the nest, reviews and feedback

First Time Buyers, what they say about us

Listed buildings, structural surveys

Older buildings, a review of buying an older house

Families with children looking for a new home, feedback and reviews

Buying a Non-Traditional Property

Residential Surveys

House and Home Surveys

Commercial Building Surveys

Commercial Surveys

1st Associated Surveyors Are Also Available in the Following Areas:

East Anglia and East

South and South East

West Country and South West


North and North East



London Markets

London Parks



Areas of Britain

1stAssociated Independent Expert Property Surveyors

Specialists in Home Buyers Reports, Building Surveys and Structural Surveys and Schedules of Condition

All Surveyors are Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors qualified and RICS regulated

and are Members of the Independent Surveyors and Valuers Association

Putting the Client First

We do not accept service of documents by email or fax