Approved inspectors -v- Local Authority

building control officers,

which are best?


We are Independent Surveyors, freephone us for help and advice

We can offer you help and advice with regard to extending your property and many other property matters. We carry out full structural surveys, property reports, dilapidations reports, commercial building surveys, specific defects reports and boundary surveys.

We use lots of sketches (like this one of a blocked hopperhead) and photos in our building surveys to give our clients a better understanding.

We also write many articles like this one, Approved Inspectors vs Local Authority Building Control Officers.

Please free phone us on 0800 298 5424 for a friendly chat with one of our surveyors.


An example of one of our sketches

How do I book a survey?

It's easy either:-

Free phone 0800 298 5424

or fill in our no obligation Quick Quote form



Both from the same backgrounds

Typically, building control officers will have had a degree level training in a related discipline, such as a degree in building or a degree in building surveying. They will have then mixed this academic knowledge with experience and would then have, possibly, become members of either the Association of Building Engineers or The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors. It is likely that they have gained their experience within a local authority, as they generally have a good training system in place, although commercial property companies are becoming more aware of the need to have graduate training schemes. We should add that there will be many good tradesmen that have worked their way up within building control departments.


The arrival of approved inspectors

As a general move to de-regulate and de-monopolise (some would say unclog block ups and slowness in the system) approved inspectors arrived, who work in a similar/same manner to the local authority, approving to the latest Building Regulations.


What is the difference between an approved inspector and a local authority building control officer?


In theory, the standard of the work they carry out should be to the same standard, the difference is more with regard to distance. A local authority building control officer, as the name suggests, will work within a local authority area, perhaps covering a small part of that area and specialising in property type, such as residential. This means they will get excellent local knowledge and get to know local builders working in the area. It may mean their spectrum of work that they look at is limited, but this depends upon the area and the building and property development activity in that area.

An approved inspector tends to be dealing with a client on a national basis, looking to roll out perhaps a chain of similar stores or shopping centre fit outs, and they will get to know and understand what the client wants. It can be argued that this relationship is sometimes too close. Equally, it can be argued that they, being the company and the approved inspector, get to know each other and, depending upon the relationship of course, the best solution is agreed on a national basis.


This would be as opposed to, in area of the country that they want to open their store/shop, having to get individual approval, as they would have a type approval. Having said that, we are advised that some local authorities act as a lead authority and also look at type approval. Either way, the introduction of competition is not, we don't think, a bad thing.


Approved inspectors -v- local authority building control officers; an example

We have recently come across a case where a landlord within a shopping centre was renting out some units of 1200 square feet, approximately 120 square metres. They had an agreement that, as required under the Building Regulations, they would have toilet facilities and the usual staff room that's also a store room! The toilet facilities, however, had to be suitable for use by any disabled members of staff, which under the current Building Regulations required 2.2 metres by 2 metres as a minimum size, plus lobby space as you don't want the toilet door facing onto your selling area.

This obviously affects the extent of the floor area available to sell merchandise from. This is of key importance to any retailer, of course as these toilets are for any disabled people they would need to be on the ground floor and this is the prime selling area. However, with the right sort of negotiation using an approved inspector, i.e. a private building control officer, this was negotiated to 1.5 metres plus lobby space, so a reduction in space required.

Printerkiller Cup Of Tea Clipart

Similarly, there was said to be a need for tea making facilities for any disabled member of staff on the ground floor. This would require a sink and a small shelf. However, after much discussion with the approved inspector it was agreed that the tea making facilities that were upstairs within the staff room/store room area could be used and a cup of tea brought down to the disabled member of staff. It is not to say that this wouldn't be agreed with a local building control officer, it is just that when it is agreed with an approved inspector then it can be utilised in appropriate situations nationwide.


Other articles that may be of interest to you:

It is important to remember where builders come from

Cowboy Builders and Cowboy Clients! How to get on with your Builder

Estimating Building Costs

Definitions of Building terms

Loft Conversions

What is my Home Worth?

Basement Conversions - do they add value?

Adding Value to Your Property



Why have one of our independent building surveys?

We always recommend you have an building survey on both residential and commercial property as this will highlight any property problems. Caveat emptor means buyer beware and is why you need to have a building survey to find out if there are any problems within the property. The estate agent certainly will not advise you of any but we most definitely will!

Remember the Building Surveyor that you employ will be the only person working for you with your interests at heart.

We have developed our surveys over many years, in fact several decades. We have listened to feedback from our clients and amended and altered our surveys to make them easy to read and describe issues clearly. The key factor we believe is that our surveys are easy to understand in plain English.


What do the circles and ovals mean?

The circles and ovals we use in our building surveys on our photos and sketches are there to highlight property problem areas so you are not left wondering what the property problem is like this photo showing plants growing out of a valley gutter.

An example of one of our photos

Surveying article

We hope you found the article of use and if you have any experiences that you feel should be added to this article that would benefit others, or you feel that some of the information that we have put is wrong then please do not hesitate to contact us (we are only human).

The contents of the web site are for general information only and are not intended to be relied upon for specific or general decisions. Appropriate independent professional advice should be paid for before making such a decision.


Commercial Property

If you have a commercial property, be it leasehold or freehold, then you may wish to look at our Dilapidations Website at and for Disputes go to our Disputes Help site .


All rights reserved by

All rights are reserved the contents of the web site is not to be reproduced or transmitted in any form in whole or part without the express written permission of


building engineers

Home Buyers Reports Property Surveys - why we're the best. Engineers Reports
© Copyright

1stassociated-logo-for-footer IVSA-badge IVSA-putting-client-first call-us-for-footer

We have thousands of free property articles to help you - or call us freephone on 0800 298 5424

We have been working in the property industry for many years and have been
providing free property articles for over ten years. All for free and to help you with buying your next property.

House and Home Surveys and Useful Information

All you need to know about Building Surveys

Building Control, what do they do?

Designers and Architects will they save me money or will they cost me money

Enviroment, Your Building and Garden Gnomes

Estate Agents help sell houses and work for the vendors

Have a Structural Survey to protect you against structural problems

Home improvements, builder problems and ideas for you on how to solve them

How a Surveyor values a property, Chartered Surveyors and Regulated Valuers

How Chartered Engineers and Building Engineers can help you

Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas

NHBC National House Building Council

Structural Surveys and How We Can Help You

Traditional and Non-Traditional Houses and Mortgage Problems

Valuations and how much is the building worth?

Whats the difference between a Chartered Building Surveyor, Chartered Surveyor and an Independent Surveyor

Useful property problem articles by Chartered Surveyors explaining building issues to avoid

External - Helpful information on building problems on the outside of the property

Chimney issues and problems

Cracking and Movement Problems and Surveying Solutions

Flat Roof Problems, how we can solve them

Foundations and Structures and Settlement and Subsidence and Underpinning

Pitched Roofs Problems and Solutions

Roof Problems

Wall Problems

Windows and Doors and Fascias and Soffits and Wet Rot and Dry Rot and other problems

Internal - House problems we have investigated inside

All you ever need to know about floors

Asbestos in your home, what you need to know

Ceiling Cracks and Structural Problems

Condensation, Damp and Black Mould Problems

Cracking and Movement Problems and Surveying Solutions

Windows and Doors and Fascias and Soffits and Wet Rot and Dry Rot and other problems

Woodworm is it a problem or not? Is it active or not?

Services - Building help and advice on costly services

Drainage, what's underground can affect what's above ground

Heating; I just can't get my house warm enough or alternatively I just can't get my house cool enough

You can't mess around with the electric, you need an expert


Commercial Property Services

Building Terms Explained and Directories

Commercial Property Surveys

Commercial Structural Surveys

Leisure Facilites

Offices Large and Small

Shops and Retail

Warehouse and Industrial Buildings

Dilapidations Help and Advice What is a Dilapidations Notice?

A Beginner's Guide to Dilaps

Damp Mould and Condensation

Dampness Rising Damp Mould Black Mould Condensation

Dilapidations and Negotiations

Dilapidations Claim by a Landlord

Energy Saving what can I do?

Finance what is a Financial Adviser (We are not Financial Advisors)

Fire Risk and Help

Health and Safety Risks

Insurance how do I get the correct property insurance?

Landlords Surveying Advice

Property Investment how can I invest in property?

Property TV Reviews by an Independent Surveyor

Schedules of Condition Leasing a Commercial Property

Scotts Schedule and Section 18 Valuation

Tenants Surveying Advice

Weather how does weather affect my property?



Snow and Ice

Strong Winds

Reviews from clients on Commercial Building Surveys

Churches and Charities, helpful reviews from our clients

Industrial Buildings and Warehouses and what our clients say about us

Offices Large and Small, reviews and feedback from our clients

Pubs, Restaurants, Hotels and other Leisure facilities we have surveyed over the years

Shops and Retail, helpful reviews from our clients


First Time Buyers

Buying a Leasehold or Shared Freehold Home

Buying and Selling Houses for the experienced house and home purchaser

First Time Buyers how do I go about buying my first house and home?

Improve your property knowledge with our presentations on house, homes and commercial property

Building Surveys

Building Surveying Useful Information


Dilapidations Presentations in Detail

Final Year Building Surveying Exams for University Students or those that would like to know more

How old is your Building? Which era was it built in?

Party Walls

Surveyors and Design Tools

Disputes and Party Walls

Boundary Disputes

Building and Property Disputes

Party Wall Book Reviews

Party Walls Your Rights and Responsibilities

1stAssociated Surveyors Review for Structural Surveys and Building Surveys

Building Surveys, reviews and feedback from satisfied customers

Buy to let property clients, what they say about our structural surveys

Buying at auction, review of the survey

Buying bungalows and retirement properties and how our surveyors can help

Both at work / busy couples, how we can help and some 1stAssociated client reviews

Families with a young person flying the nest, reviews and feedback

First Time Buyers, what they say about us

Listed buildings, structural surveys

Older buildings, a review of buying an older house

Families with children looking for a new home, feedback and reviews

Buying a Non-Traditional Property

Residential Surveys

House and Home Surveys

Commercial Building Surveys

Commercial Surveys

1st Associated Surveyors Are Also Available in the Following Areas:

East Anglia and East

South and South East

West Country and South West


North and North East



London Markets

London Parks



Areas of Britain

1stAssociated Independent Expert Property Surveyors

Specialists in Home Buyers Reports, Building Surveys and Structural Surveys and Schedules of Condition

All Surveyors are Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors qualified and RICS regulated

and are Members of the Independent Surveyors and Valuers Association

Putting the Client First

We do not accept service of documents by email or fax