Problem Solving







Prepared by:






We solve property problems, giving you solutions that fit your time scale your quality standards and your budget.

The following explains the options you have with regard to surveys for dampness primarily condensation, lateral or penetrating dampness (coming through the wall structure) and rising damp. We can carry out tests for additional dampness if so required.

Our reports have been used for legal cases, for arbitration as well as providing information and advice.

Free phone 0800 298 5424

Specific Defects Report

In this report we look at one defect, ie. dampness within the ground floor of a property and identify the source. For this we utilise the experience of the surveyor, conductivity meters (often known as damp meters) and thermal imaging where appropriate and appropriate preparation to the building can be carried out. All of these are non evasive techniques.



Damp meters being used

Example of Thermal Imaging




Property Survey

This involves a survey of the entire structure where we identify rooms throughout where there are thought to be a mixture of problems. We also take into consideration the occupiers lifestyle and the sources of humidity, ie. the type and style of cooking carried out in the kitchen, the type and style of washing and hygiene care, ie. baths / showers and frequency. We can carry out all the previously mentioned tests and inspections. We also can carry out a GESPEEDY 2000 Tester, certified to ISO 9001, which does require the walls to be opened up.


Cause and Effect

Our focus is very much on the cause of the problem therefore remedying the current effect and also longer term giving a way forward to resolve any future issues.

Cost of Services


We offer two payment systems:

Specific Defects Report - £TBA

Property Survey Report - £TBA


Retained Services

We also offer retained service where surveys can be bought in batches of ten therefore costs will be considerably reduced. These are agreed on a case by case basis.

Retained Services 100+ 1000+ Properties

By negotiation, will benefit from reduction of costs dependent upon quantity and payment system agreed. We are able to offer an overview of your entire property estate. This can be based upon elected property type survey.


We are Independent Surveyors. We are registered with the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and our Surveyors are members of the Independent Surveyors and Vaulers Association. This has been carried out by a Building Surveyor.

If you would like any further advice on any of the issues discussed or indeed any that have not been discussed! Please do not hesitate to contact our office on
0800 298 5424.





Legal claim against Tenant for £30,000 to renew the roof.


Subject property



Long term dampness stagatites

Concrete slab double checked for dampness using a GANN conductivity meter

Roof thermal imaged for dampness


The landlord was proceeding with legal action against the tenant due to a defective roof requiring the replacement at a cost of 30K

We represented the client and brought common sence to the matter and avoid a legal claim


Award winning Eco-houses that we were asked to thermal image


When we arrived to inspect it seemed easier to open them up. As you can see from the photos there was literally no insulation in some areas or 20-40mm in other areas where it should have been 140mm 170mm.



Eco Houses

Missing Insulation

No Insulation



Office block where the adjoining building was being demolished which was

ten storeys high


This building has been overclad with a protective rain cladding where the seals if they are damaged allow water into the building. We thermal imaged the building. All the joints are OK at the moment however if the shaking vibration of demolishing next door (which is being demolished by robots that chew it to bits) causes any damage to the adjoining property we can show the schedule which confirms it was OK before.

Our building on the left hamd side (overclad)





Thermal imaging showing joints are ok at the moment


Independent Surveyors

If you truly do want an independent expert opinion from a surveyor with regard to valuations, mortgages, mortgage companies, surveys, building surveys, structural reports, engineers reports, specific defects report, structural surveys, home buyers reports or any other property matters please contact
0800 298 5424 for a surveyor to give you a call back.


Commercial Property

If you have a commercial property, whether it is freehold or leasehold then sooner or later you may get involved with dilapidation claims. You may wish to look at our Dilapidations Website at
www.DilapsHelp.com and for Disputes go to our Disputes Help site www.DisputesHelp.com


We hope you found the article of use and if you have any experiences that you feel should be added to this article that would benefit others, or you feel that some of the information that we have put is wrong then please do not hesitate to contact us (we are only human).

The contents of the web site are for general information only and are not intended to be relied upon for specific or general decisions. Appropriate independent professional advice should be paid for before making such a decision.

All rights are reserved the contents of the web site is not to be reproduced or transmitted in any form in whole or part without the express written permission of




building engineers

Home Buyers Reports Property Surveys - why we're the best. Engineers Reports
© Copyright 1stassociated.co.uk

1stassociated-logo-for-footer IVSA-badge IVSA-putting-client-first call-us-for-footer

We have thousands of free property articles to help you - or call us freephone on 0800 298 5424

We have been working in the property industry for many years and have been
providing free property articles for over ten years. All for free and to help you with buying your next property.

House and Home Surveys and Useful Information

All you need to know about Building Surveys

Building Control, what do they do?

Designers and Architects will they save me money or will they cost me money

Enviroment, Your Building and Garden Gnomes

Estate Agents help sell houses and work for the vendors

Have a Structural Survey to protect you against structural problems

Home improvements, builder problems and ideas for you on how to solve them

How a Surveyor values a property, Chartered Surveyors and Regulated Valuers

How Chartered Engineers and Building Engineers can help you

Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas

NHBC National House Building Council

Structural Surveys and How We Can Help You

Traditional and Non-Traditional Houses and Mortgage Problems

Valuations and how much is the building worth?

Whats the difference between a Chartered Building Surveyor, Chartered Surveyor and an Independent Surveyor

Useful property problem articles by Chartered Surveyors explaining building issues to avoid

External - Helpful information on building problems on the outside of the property

Chimney issues and problems

Cracking and Movement Problems and Surveying Solutions

Flat Roof Problems, how we can solve them

Foundations and Structures and Settlement and Subsidence and Underpinning

Pitched Roofs Problems and Solutions

Roof Problems

Wall Problems

Windows and Doors and Fascias and Soffits and Wet Rot and Dry Rot and other problems

Internal - House problems we have investigated inside

All you ever need to know about floors

Asbestos in your home, what you need to know

Ceiling Cracks and Structural Problems

Condensation, Damp and Black Mould Problems

Cracking and Movement Problems and Surveying Solutions

Windows and Doors and Fascias and Soffits and Wet Rot and Dry Rot and other problems

Woodworm is it a problem or not? Is it active or not?

Services - Building help and advice on costly services

Drainage, what's underground can affect what's above ground

Heating; I just can't get my house warm enough or alternatively I just can't get my house cool enough

You can't mess around with the electric, you need an expert


Commercial Property Services

Building Terms Explained and Directories

Commercial Property Surveys

Commercial Structural Surveys

Leisure Facilites

Offices Large and Small

Shops and Retail

Warehouse and Industrial Buildings

Dilapidations Help and Advice What is a Dilapidations Notice?

A Beginner's Guide to Dilaps

Damp Mould and Condensation

Dampness Rising Damp Mould Black Mould Condensation

Dilapidations and Negotiations

Dilapidations Claim by a Landlord

Energy Saving what can I do?

Finance what is a Financial Adviser (We are not Financial Advisors)

Fire Risk and Help

Health and Safety Risks

Insurance how do I get the correct property insurance?

Landlords Surveying Advice

Property Investment how can I invest in property?

Property TV Reviews by an Independent Surveyor

Schedules of Condition Leasing a Commercial Property

Scotts Schedule and Section 18 Valuation

Tenants Surveying Advice

Weather how does weather affect my property?



Snow and Ice

Strong Winds

Reviews from clients on Commercial Building Surveys

Churches and Charities, helpful reviews from our clients

Industrial Buildings and Warehouses and what our clients say about us

Offices Large and Small, reviews and feedback from our clients

Pubs, Restaurants, Hotels and other Leisure facilities we have surveyed over the years

Shops and Retail, helpful reviews from our clients


First Time Buyers

Buying a Leasehold or Shared Freehold Home

Buying and Selling Houses for the experienced house and home purchaser

First Time Buyers how do I go about buying my first house and home?

Improve your property knowledge with our presentations on house, homes and commercial property

Building Surveys

Building Surveying Useful Information


Dilapidations Presentations in Detail

Final Year Building Surveying Exams for University Students or those that would like to know more

How old is your Building? Which era was it built in?

Party Walls

Surveyors and Design Tools

Disputes and Party Walls

Boundary Disputes

Building and Property Disputes

Party Wall Book Reviews

Party Walls Your Rights and Responsibilities

1stAssociated Surveyors Review for Structural Surveys and Building Surveys

Building Surveys, reviews and feedback from satisfied customers

Buy to let property clients, what they say about our structural surveys

Buying at auction, review of the survey

Buying bungalows and retirement properties and how our surveyors can help

Both at work / busy couples, how we can help and some 1stAssociated client reviews

Families with a young person flying the nest, reviews and feedback

First Time Buyers, what they say about us

Listed buildings, structural surveys

Older buildings, a review of buying an older house

Families with children looking for a new home, feedback and reviews

Buying a Non-Traditional Property

Residential Surveys

House and Home Surveys

Commercial Building Surveys

Commercial Surveys

1st Associated Surveyors Are Also Available in the Following Areas:

East Anglia and East

South and South East

West Country and South West


North and North East



London Markets

London Parks



Areas of Britain

1stAssociated Independent Expert Property Surveyors

Specialists in Home Buyers Reports, Building Surveys and Structural Surveys and Schedules of Condition

All Surveyors are Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors qualified and RICS regulated

and are Members of the Independent Surveyors and Valuers Association

Putting the Client First

We do not accept service of documents by email or fax