Renting out a property

Have you thought about this?


Who are we?

We are Independent Surveyors and Structural Engineers. We pride ourselves on our high standards of work on many different types of properties such as terraced houses, bungalows, and semi-detached houses. We carry out mainly building and structural surveys but where there are problems with such things as cracking we can carry out engineer's reports. If you want to know what the property is really worth we carry out independent valuations. We also carry out specific defects reports. This specific article relates to rental properties but we have a wealth of knowledge on just about anything property related. Please do not hesitate to call us on our Freephone number 0800 298 5424 .

Many years of experience of managing rented properties

Over the years we have both managed rented properties for large institutes and for individuals but probably more importantly we have rented properties ourselves.

Free phone 0800 298 5424

Before you commit to purchasing a property

Before you commit to purchasing a property we would recommend:

1. You should put tester adverts in local newspapers to see the demand for rented property and also the sort of rent that a property can command.

This will in turn identify the type of price / value that you can pay for a property.

2.  When dealing with estate agents they should be aware that you are an investor and that this is a business decision. We have found in the past that it is often best to be bidding on two or more properties at once. This way the best deal is the one that you purchase and the estate agents are well aware that you have an option to go to another property regardless of whether the market is high or low.

3.  Have a building survey carried out and we assume as you are reading this it has crossed your mind and you have had a survey carried out. We would always recommend you meet the surveyor at the property and chat thoroughly with the surveyor about the report. We would go so far as recommending not using a surveyor that's not prepared to meet you at the property.

4.  Before you purchase you should join the National Landlords Association (NLA) as there is lots of great advice on the website: , and on their forum including articles and also legal advice and documentation that can help you.


When you have purchased the property


1.  Generally you have a legal obligation to let the property in a safe manner and carry out regular checks on various items. Usually this means carrying out a gas safe check of the boiler system every year and to make sure the electrics are safe. To this end we would recommend an Institute of Electrical Engineers (IEE) test and report and usually a change of fuse boards.

2.  We would lock any cellars and roof space to stop tenants storing items in these areas. We recently had to empty a property that had a cellar and a roof space and it required two ten yard skips and cost nearly £1,000 (one thousand pounds) in total.

3.  Any glazed doors or windows you should consider replacing, particularly if they do not have safety glass in them.

4.  You should have an inspection of the property considering any health and safety hazards. This could range from loose handrails on staircases, to asbestos in the property, to old electrics.

5.  Make sure the bathroom and the kitchen are well presented. If at all possible, and where the house is appropriate, we would add wash basins and vanity units to other rooms where drainage allows.

6.  You need to seal the letter box; you would be amazed at how much post can come through a letter box. Sealing it has two effects:

6.1  Letters are returned to the sender.

6.2  It means you don't end up with a pile of letters so large that you can't open the door and this literally happened to us once.


To let the property


1. We would always let the properties empty of furniture and fixtures and fittings as this means you have no liability for them. In addition to this anyone moving into a property with their own furniture will also think long and hard before they leave the property.

2.  It's illegal to take a deposit unless it's put into the government's shared deposit scheme. There are various versions of this about including one from the NLA at the time of writing.

3.  We would always use air fresheners as it is always important what a property smells like when being viewed.

4.  If you can only afford to paint or decorate two rooms then it should be the kitchen and the bathroom. The property should also be cleaned thoroughly.

5.  Remember kerb side appeal is the three seconds rule as someone approaches the property. Also today it is the look of the property when advertised on Rightmove, Zoopla, or an equivalent major lettings website.

6.  When advertising on the internet via Rightmove, Zoopla, or an equivalent lettings website some agents have a deal where you can have the property on the market for as long as you wish without incurring any extra costs.


With regards to photographs for the internet and any other advertising where at all possible make sure they are taken on a sunny day.


We hope you have enjoyed reading this article on rental properties by a Surveyor. Other building related articles on our 1stassociated website that maybe of interest to you are:


Buying property at an auction

Can you trust a Valuation?

Do all houses have condensation?

Can you trust an Estate Agent?



Independent Surveyors

If you truly do want an independent expert opinion from a surveyor with regard to valuations, mortgages, mortgage companies, surveys, building surveys, structural reports/engineers reports, specific defects report, structural surveys, home buyers reports or any other property matters please contact 0800 298 5424 for a surveyor to give you a call back.


Commercial Property

If you have a commercial property, whether it is freehold or leasehold then sooner or later you may get involved with dilapidation claims. You may wish to look at our Dilapidations Website at and for Disputes go to our Disputes Help site .


We hope you found the article of use and if you have any experiences that you feel should be added to this article that would benefit others, or you feel that some of the information that we have put is wrong then please do not hesitate to contact us (we are only human).

The contents of the web site are for general information only and are not intended to be relied upon for specific or general decisions. Appropriate independent professional advice should be paid for before making such a decision.

All rights are reserved the contents of the web site is not to be reproduced or transmitted in any form in whole or part without the express written permission of .


building engineers

Home Buyers Reports Property Surveys - why we're the best. Engineers Reports
© Copyright

1stassociated-logo-for-footer IVSA-badge IVSA-putting-client-first call-us-for-footer

We have thousands of free property articles to help you - or call us freephone on 0800 298 5424

We have been working in the property industry for many years and have been
providing free property articles for over ten years. All for free and to help you with buying your next property.

House and Home Surveys and Useful Information

All you need to know about Building Surveys

Building Control, what do they do?

Designers and Architects will they save me money or will they cost me money

Enviroment, Your Building and Garden Gnomes

Estate Agents help sell houses and work for the vendors

Have a Structural Survey to protect you against structural problems

Home improvements, builder problems and ideas for you on how to solve them

How a Surveyor values a property, Chartered Surveyors and Regulated Valuers

How Chartered Engineers and Building Engineers can help you

Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas

NHBC National House Building Council

Structural Surveys and How We Can Help You

Traditional and Non-Traditional Houses and Mortgage Problems

Valuations and how much is the building worth?

Whats the difference between a Chartered Building Surveyor, Chartered Surveyor and an Independent Surveyor

Useful property problem articles by Chartered Surveyors explaining building issues to avoid

External - Helpful information on building problems on the outside of the property

Chimney issues and problems

Cracking and Movement Problems and Surveying Solutions

Flat Roof Problems, how we can solve them

Foundations and Structures and Settlement and Subsidence and Underpinning

Pitched Roofs Problems and Solutions

Roof Problems

Wall Problems

Windows and Doors and Fascias and Soffits and Wet Rot and Dry Rot and other problems

Internal - House problems we have investigated inside

All you ever need to know about floors

Asbestos in your home, what you need to know

Ceiling Cracks and Structural Problems

Condensation, Damp and Black Mould Problems

Cracking and Movement Problems and Surveying Solutions

Windows and Doors and Fascias and Soffits and Wet Rot and Dry Rot and other problems

Woodworm is it a problem or not? Is it active or not?

Services - Building help and advice on costly services

Drainage, what's underground can affect what's above ground

Heating; I just can't get my house warm enough or alternatively I just can't get my house cool enough

You can't mess around with the electric, you need an expert


Commercial Property Services

Building Terms Explained and Directories

Commercial Property Surveys

Commercial Structural Surveys

Leisure Facilites

Offices Large and Small

Shops and Retail

Warehouse and Industrial Buildings

Dilapidations Help and Advice What is a Dilapidations Notice?

A Beginner's Guide to Dilaps

Damp Mould and Condensation

Dampness Rising Damp Mould Black Mould Condensation

Dilapidations and Negotiations

Dilapidations Claim by a Landlord

Energy Saving what can I do?

Finance what is a Financial Adviser (We are not Financial Advisors)

Fire Risk and Help

Health and Safety Risks

Insurance how do I get the correct property insurance?

Landlords Surveying Advice

Property Investment how can I invest in property?

Property TV Reviews by an Independent Surveyor

Schedules of Condition Leasing a Commercial Property

Scotts Schedule and Section 18 Valuation

Tenants Surveying Advice

Weather how does weather affect my property?



Snow and Ice

Strong Winds

Reviews from clients on Commercial Building Surveys

Churches and Charities, helpful reviews from our clients

Industrial Buildings and Warehouses and what our clients say about us

Offices Large and Small, reviews and feedback from our clients

Pubs, Restaurants, Hotels and other Leisure facilities we have surveyed over the years

Shops and Retail, helpful reviews from our clients


First Time Buyers

Buying a Leasehold or Shared Freehold Home

Buying and Selling Houses for the experienced house and home purchaser

First Time Buyers how do I go about buying my first house and home?

Improve your property knowledge with our presentations on house, homes and commercial property

Building Surveys

Building Surveying Useful Information


Dilapidations Presentations in Detail

Final Year Building Surveying Exams for University Students or those that would like to know more

How old is your Building? Which era was it built in?

Party Walls

Surveyors and Design Tools

Disputes and Party Walls

Boundary Disputes

Building and Property Disputes

Party Wall Book Reviews

Party Walls Your Rights and Responsibilities

1stAssociated Surveyors Review for Structural Surveys and Building Surveys

Building Surveys, reviews and feedback from satisfied customers

Buy to let property clients, what they say about our structural surveys

Buying at auction, review of the survey

Buying bungalows and retirement properties and how our surveyors can help

Both at work / busy couples, how we can help and some 1stAssociated client reviews

Families with a young person flying the nest, reviews and feedback

First Time Buyers, what they say about us

Listed buildings, structural surveys

Older buildings, a review of buying an older house

Families with children looking for a new home, feedback and reviews

Buying a Non-Traditional Property

Residential Surveys

House and Home Surveys

Commercial Building Surveys

Commercial Surveys

1st Associated Surveyors Are Also Available in the Following Areas:

East Anglia and East

South and South East

West Country and South West


North and North East



London Markets

London Parks



Areas of Britain

1stAssociated Independent Expert Property Surveyors

Specialists in Home Buyers Reports, Building Surveys and Structural Surveys and Schedules of Condition

All Surveyors are Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors qualified and RICS regulated

and are Members of the Independent Surveyors and Valuers Association

Putting the Client First

We do not accept service of documents by email or fax