Rising Damp

Is it a problem?


What do Building Surveyors do?

1stAssociated.co.uk can provide help and advice with regard to building surveys, structural surveys, independent valuations, property surveys, structural reports, engineers reports, specific defects report, home buyers reports or any other property matters . Please free phone 0800 298 5424 for a friendly chat with a surveyor.

Free phone 0800 298 5424

Rising damp debate

Just Google search on the internet or many of the other well known search engines such as Firefox and Internet Explorer using the term No Such Thing as Rising Damp or the Rising Damp Myth and you will open your eyes to an amazing debate on rising damp. We thought we would do a round up of the views that we have come across and comment with our experience as a building surveyor who carries out structural surveys and building surveys regularly.

Rising damp


Reward of £50 for anyone finding genuine Rising Damp



We came across an article entitled Property and Rising Damp – No Such Thing which refers to independent research, as far as we are aware, carried out by Michael Parrot, Manager of Lewisham's Housing Disrepair team who offered a £50 reward to anyone finding genuine rising damp. We have also seen consideration raising the reward for finding rising damp to £500. We are not sure whether it is still available but it certainly showed commitment!

A photo of a survey carried out with the house backing onto Grand Union Canal. Surely this should have rising damp?


The article on Rising Damp was written many, many years ago, in November 1997. As part of the article it is commented that they would like to remove the term rising damp from the building vocabulary. We would say if anything rising damp is better known today and what's more it is used time and time again to either be the reason why a mortgage is not given or the reason why a sum of money is retained by the mortgage company. It is also used as a way to negotiate down the price.

Another house backing onto a canal – will it have rising damp?


Walls of the house are literally in the canal


What is a damp proof course?

With all this fuss about dampness, you may be wondering how the dampness is stopped. Normally in modern properties, this is post war properties, it is stopped by use of a damp proof course. Originally these were slate and then they were bitumen and more recently they have been plastic (of course!).

However prior to the war years we used a very different system and this is where we allowed properties to breathe. This is because they were often built with a lime mortar that allowed dampness to get into the wall but then also to breathe and evaporate or dissipate.




Nearly every good building surveyor has a view on whether a damp proof course is necessary or not however we find that nearly everyone in the damp proof industry has the view that a damp proof course is necessary!


Let's talk to the Experts

Building Research Establishment

The Building Research Establishment or the BRE were once a Government research resource that looked at the building industry. Generally their information is considered to be very good and unbiased. We used to say that they were considered the research specialists in the building industry but we have had comments on previous articles that they are now purely a commercial concern and there are many others available. That aside, the Building Research Establishment does say there isn't any such thing as rising damp in articles, yet equally sell a lot of books on the subject of rising damp and also have carried out research for rising damp companies. All very confusing.


What is the BRE Digest 245?

The BRE Digest is a document written by the British Research Establishment explaining about damp. We have a copy if you are interested in reading it.


Let's talk to the Users


Whilst we appreciate this isn't a specialist website and has lots of opinions and there are often conflicting comments, we do think this is a great website so if you haven't visited MoneySavingExpert.com we would recommend that you do.

There is a forum section which discusses the rising damp myth at length and Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors sometimes known as RICS and also how damp meters are not used correctly.

There are various comments which we believe are good common sense comments such as waiting for six months before doing anything, which we would say is generally a good thing with a house as nothing happens that fast.

There are people on the moneysavingexpert.com website who obviously work in the trade, who advise that they have installed damp proof courses and seen it working. There are also arguments that chemical damp proof courses are useless and others saying that they hold BBA Certificates and there are British Standards that recommend their installation.


The use or misuse of damp meters often known by the trade name of protimeters

If you search the web, there are many many views on the use of damp meters and protimeters, protimeter being the trade name used. Damp meters play such an important part in analysing dampness, (rightly or wrongly) that they are mentioned in the BRE Digest 245.

Damp meters


Checking for dampness with a protimeter

Checking for damp with a Gann meter. Is it rising damp or is it condensation?

Dampness found using a Gann meter. Is this rising damp or a water leak?


BBA Certificates

BBA Certificates are often quoted by the damp proof companies when advertising damp proof course. For those not in the industry you are probably asking what on earth are BBA Certificates. These are the British Board of Agrement Certificates and they rate various products including, we are advised by many damp proofing companies, that BBA Certificates are available for chemical damp proof courses. As we understand it, the BBA does test and report on all products and can be sponsored by a company, very much in the same way that the BRE can now have sponsored research carried out.


Mortgage companies and dampness

Often you will find with a mortgage company who has carried out a valuation via its mortgage valuation surveyors that they can ask that various sums of money are retained due to dampness. We have seen on most of these that they recommend you consult a damp proof specialist such as a member of the BWPDA (The British Wood Preserving & Damp-proofing Association) which are part of the Property Care Association.


Qualifications and rising damp

There is a number of qualifications and companies that you will come across, the BWPDA is probably the one most frequently mentioned within surveyors reports but we also come across such qualifications as the CSSW ( Certificated Surveyor in Structural Waterproofing) and the CSRT ( Certificated Surveyor in Remedial Treatment).

There is also the role of trade institutes within the rising damp environment such as the Property Care Association. We are not certain whether they are a ‘professional company' or if they are a promotional company for the damp proofing industry.

The RICS (Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors) is a professional body that represents the public's interests first as it is chartered and upholds standards for the surveyors within it.


Rising damp Myth – the book by Jeff Howell

What a great read this book is. Jeff Howell is an author of many books and a chartered building surveyor, chartered builder and ex-bricklayer who carried our research whilst lecturing at South Bank University in relation to rising damp and simply couldn't get the damp to rise.


Other articles that may be of interest

The following articles give further information related to this topic:

Rising damp, condensation and damp through your walls

Rising Damp and Independent Reports

Rising Damp or is it?

Condensation Problems


Independent Surveyors

If you truly do want an independent expert opinion from a building surveyor we are happy to do valuations, building surveys, structural surveys, structural reports, engineers reports, specific defects reports, home buyers reports or any other property matters. Please contact us on 0 800 298 5424 to have a free of charge friendly chat with one of our surveyors.

We feel our surveys are quite unique, as they are written to your level of knowledge. The surveys include photos and sketches and definitions. The survey will also include an action required section and an estimate of costs in the executive summary. We are more than happy to meet you at the property whilst carrying out the survey to discuss any specific issues you may have or have a general chat about what we have found at the end of the survey.


Commercial Property

If you are looking for commercial property, whether it is freehold or leasehold, we would recommend a survey as this will prevent dilapidations claims in the long run. You may wish to look at our Dilapidations Website at www.DilapsHelp.com an d for Disputes go to our Disputes Help site www.DisputesHelp.com , both of which we have been advised are very helpful!

We hope you found the article of use and if you have any experiences that you feel should be added to this article that would benefit others, or you feel that some of the information that we have put is wrong then please do not hesitate to contact us (we are only human).

The contents of the web site are for general information only and is not intended to be relied upon for specific or general decisions. Appropriate independent professional advice should be paid for before making such a decision.

All rights are reserved the contents of the web site is not to be reproduced or transmitted in any form in whole or part without the express written permission of www.1stAssociated.co.uk. 


building engineers

Home Buyers Reports Property Surveys - why we're the best. Engineers Reports
© Copyright 1stassociated.co.uk

1stassociated-logo-for-footer IVSA-badge IVSA-putting-client-first call-us-for-footer

We have thousands of free property articles to help you - or call us freephone on 0800 298 5424

We have been working in the property industry for many years and have been
providing free property articles for over ten years. All for free and to help you with buying your next property.

House and Home Surveys and Useful Information

All you need to know about Building Surveys

Building Control, what do they do?

Designers and Architects will they save me money or will they cost me money

Enviroment, Your Building and Garden Gnomes

Estate Agents help sell houses and work for the vendors

Have a Structural Survey to protect you against structural problems

Home improvements, builder problems and ideas for you on how to solve them

How a Surveyor values a property, Chartered Surveyors and Regulated Valuers

How Chartered Engineers and Building Engineers can help you

Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas

NHBC National House Building Council

Structural Surveys and How We Can Help You

Traditional and Non-Traditional Houses and Mortgage Problems

Valuations and how much is the building worth?

Whats the difference between a Chartered Building Surveyor, Chartered Surveyor and an Independent Surveyor

Useful property problem articles by Chartered Surveyors explaining building issues to avoid

External - Helpful information on building problems on the outside of the property

Chimney issues and problems

Cracking and Movement Problems and Surveying Solutions

Flat Roof Problems, how we can solve them

Foundations and Structures and Settlement and Subsidence and Underpinning

Pitched Roofs Problems and Solutions

Roof Problems

Wall Problems

Windows and Doors and Fascias and Soffits and Wet Rot and Dry Rot and other problems

Internal - House problems we have investigated inside

All you ever need to know about floors

Asbestos in your home, what you need to know

Ceiling Cracks and Structural Problems

Condensation, Damp and Black Mould Problems

Cracking and Movement Problems and Surveying Solutions

Windows and Doors and Fascias and Soffits and Wet Rot and Dry Rot and other problems

Woodworm is it a problem or not? Is it active or not?

Services - Building help and advice on costly services

Drainage, what's underground can affect what's above ground

Heating; I just can't get my house warm enough or alternatively I just can't get my house cool enough

You can't mess around with the electric, you need an expert


Commercial Property Services

Building Terms Explained and Directories

Commercial Property Surveys

Commercial Structural Surveys

Leisure Facilites

Offices Large and Small

Shops and Retail

Warehouse and Industrial Buildings

Dilapidations Help and Advice What is a Dilapidations Notice?

A Beginner's Guide to Dilaps

Damp Mould and Condensation

Dampness Rising Damp Mould Black Mould Condensation

Dilapidations and Negotiations

Dilapidations Claim by a Landlord

Energy Saving what can I do?

Finance what is a Financial Adviser (We are not Financial Advisors)

Fire Risk and Help

Health and Safety Risks

Insurance how do I get the correct property insurance?

Landlords Surveying Advice

Property Investment how can I invest in property?

Property TV Reviews by an Independent Surveyor

Schedules of Condition Leasing a Commercial Property

Scotts Schedule and Section 18 Valuation

Tenants Surveying Advice

Weather how does weather affect my property?



Snow and Ice

Strong Winds

Reviews from clients on Commercial Building Surveys

Churches and Charities, helpful reviews from our clients

Industrial Buildings and Warehouses and what our clients say about us

Offices Large and Small, reviews and feedback from our clients

Pubs, Restaurants, Hotels and other Leisure facilities we have surveyed over the years

Shops and Retail, helpful reviews from our clients


First Time Buyers

Buying a Leasehold or Shared Freehold Home

Buying and Selling Houses for the experienced house and home purchaser

First Time Buyers how do I go about buying my first house and home?

Improve your property knowledge with our presentations on house, homes and commercial property

Building Surveys

Building Surveying Useful Information


Dilapidations Presentations in Detail

Final Year Building Surveying Exams for University Students or those that would like to know more

How old is your Building? Which era was it built in?

Party Walls

Surveyors and Design Tools

Disputes and Party Walls

Boundary Disputes

Building and Property Disputes

Party Wall Book Reviews

Party Walls Your Rights and Responsibilities

1stAssociated Surveyors Review for Structural Surveys and Building Surveys

Building Surveys, reviews and feedback from satisfied customers

Buy to let property clients, what they say about our structural surveys

Buying at auction, review of the survey

Buying bungalows and retirement properties and how our surveyors can help

Both at work / busy couples, how we can help and some 1stAssociated client reviews

Families with a young person flying the nest, reviews and feedback

First Time Buyers, what they say about us

Listed buildings, structural surveys

Older buildings, a review of buying an older house

Families with children looking for a new home, feedback and reviews

Buying a Non-Traditional Property

Residential Surveys

House and Home Surveys

Commercial Building Surveys

Commercial Surveys

1st Associated Surveyors Are Also Available in the Following Areas:

East Anglia and East

South and South East

West Country and South West


North and North East



London Markets

London Parks



Areas of Britain

1stAssociated Independent Expert Property Surveyors

Specialists in Home Buyers Reports, Building Surveys and Structural Surveys and Schedules of Condition

All Surveyors are Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors qualified and RICS regulated

and are Members of the Independent Surveyors and Valuers Association

Putting the Client First

We do not accept service of documents by email or fax