building valuations


Roof Problems



Help on property defects

1stAssociated can provide help and advice with regard to structural defects reports for things like problems with your roof, window problems, dampness, lateral dampness, condensation, cracking, movement. We carry out building surveys, structural surveys, property surveys, structural reports, engineers reports, home buyers reports or any other property matters.

As you can see from this article we sketches and also photos in all our survey reports as the feedback we have from our clients is that the sketches and photos help them understand the reports.

We, of course, like to meet you at the property during the survey and we are more than happy to talk to you about the reports. Please free phone 0800 298 5424 for a friendly chat with one of our surveyors.


Modern properties can have problems too

We have just been to look at a property that is less than two years old and has major problems with the roof. The reason for this is the builder has not correctly constructed the parapet walls.


A parapet wall is a small wall built around a flat, or shallow pitched roof. The problem is that they can absorb the rain, due to their exposed location, and bring dampness into the property, which it is in this case, causing mould internally.


The builder doesn't understand the problem, or maybe they do!


The builder has willingly come back twice and is about to come back a third time. However, we believe they are looking for a quick fix and to get out of the two year warranty, which runs out this month. Rather than replace the coping stones with correct sized ones, they have put mastic or sealant over it, similar to what you would use in a bathroom. They also appear to be well aware that the drip on the coping is in the wrong place, due to the coping stones being the wrong size and they have put bathroom mastic along the edge of the coping stone to try and form a drip.

Free phone 0800 298 5424


Drip defined

A drip is an indent, usually in a sill or a coping stone, which causes the water to gather and drip at that point, thereby keeping them away from the wall and stopping damage, deterioration and dampness getting in.

What we are most concerned about is the mastic drip being added, as we feel this has been intentionally carried out as a temporary solution, when the builders are well aware that mastic in such an exposed location would come off very quickly and the problem would be back. They have also painted over the mould.


Treating the effect not the cause

Both the adding of the mastic and the painting over internally of the mould with mould retardant paint unfortunately has not resolved the cause of the problem and whilst it looked a great deal better for a few months it came back.


The two years builders Warranty and the ten years NHBC Guarantee

Books-aj.svg Clipart

We would refer you to our other articles about the misunderstanding as to what a builder will do and won't do and what the NHBC won't do and won't do! (We haven't made a mistake in what we are saying there). We would refer you to the excellent article in Which! magazine (please search website for name of article), where they advised about the loophole that allows you to pay hundreds and thousands of pounds for a building and have next to no protection.


Is going to court the answer?

Unfortunately, it seems unless you actually threaten or take court action, the service and the work carried out by the builders is very much superficial and, what's more, can take a great deal of your time up and be a worry.


Taking the builder to court, Civil Procedure Rules Part 35

We can provide reports that are standard required by the courts, known as Civil Procedure Rules Part 35. You will also hear the term expert witness. Again, we are more than happy to do this, but most importantly, we feel we can help you make a common sense decision and deal with the problem in the manner that best suits you, i.e. taking into consideration the time that the matter would take up and the cost.



Specialist advice on property

If you truly do want an independent expert opinion from a surveyor with regard to structural surveys, building surveys, structural reports, engineers reports, specific defects reports, such as advising you on dampness, cracks in your property, woodworm, wet rot and dry rot. For a friendly chat call 0800 298 5424.


Specialist advice on commercial property

If you have a commercial property, be it leasehold or freehold, then you may wish to look at our Dilapidations Website at and for Disputes go to our Disputes Help site .


We hope your article has helped your understanding

We hope you found the article of use and if you have any experiences that you feel should be added to this article that would benefit others, or you feel that some of the information that we have put is wrong then please do not hesitate to contact us (we are only human).

The contents of the web site are for general information only and is not intended to be relied upon for specific or general decisions. Appropriate independent professional advice should be paid for before making such a decision.

All rights are reserved the contents of the web site is not to be reproduced or transmitted in any form in whole or part without the express written permission of

We have produced the following articles on roof issues:


Common Pitched Roofs

Not So Common Pitched Roofs

Flat Roofs

Asphalt flat Roofs

Leaking Flat Roofs

Leaking Dormer Roofs



building engineers



Home Buyers Reports Property Surveys - why we're the best. Engineers Reports
© Copyright
Site Map

1stassociated-logo-for-footer IVSA-badge IVSA-putting-client-first call-us-for-footer

We have thousands of free property articles to help you - or call us freephone on 0800 298 5424

We have been working in the property industry for many years and have been
providing free property articles for over ten years. All for free and to help you with buying your next property.

House and Home Surveys and Useful Information

All you need to know about Building Surveys

Building Control, what do they do?

Designers and Architects will they save me money or will they cost me money

Enviroment, Your Building and Garden Gnomes

Estate Agents help sell houses and work for the vendors

Have a Structural Survey to protect you against structural problems

Home improvements, builder problems and ideas for you on how to solve them

How a Surveyor values a property, Chartered Surveyors and Regulated Valuers

How Chartered Engineers and Building Engineers can help you

Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas

NHBC National House Building Council

Structural Surveys and How We Can Help You

Traditional and Non-Traditional Houses and Mortgage Problems

Valuations and how much is the building worth?

Whats the difference between a Chartered Building Surveyor, Chartered Surveyor and an Independent Surveyor

Useful property problem articles by Chartered Surveyors explaining building issues to avoid

External - Helpful information on building problems on the outside of the property

Chimney issues and problems

Cracking and Movement Problems and Surveying Solutions

Flat Roof Problems, how we can solve them

Foundations and Structures and Settlement and Subsidence and Underpinning

Pitched Roofs Problems and Solutions

Roof Problems

Wall Problems

Windows and Doors and Fascias and Soffits and Wet Rot and Dry Rot and other problems

Internal - House problems we have investigated inside

All you ever need to know about floors

Asbestos in your home, what you need to know

Ceiling Cracks and Structural Problems

Condensation, Damp and Black Mould Problems

Cracking and Movement Problems and Surveying Solutions

Windows and Doors and Fascias and Soffits and Wet Rot and Dry Rot and other problems

Woodworm is it a problem or not? Is it active or not?

Services - Building help and advice on costly services

Drainage, what's underground can affect what's above ground

Heating; I just can't get my house warm enough or alternatively I just can't get my house cool enough

You can't mess around with the electric, you need an expert


Commercial Property Services

Building Terms Explained and Directories

Commercial Property Surveys

Commercial Structural Surveys

Leisure Facilites

Offices Large and Small

Shops and Retail

Warehouse and Industrial Buildings

Dilapidations Help and Advice What is a Dilapidations Notice?

A Beginner's Guide to Dilaps

Damp Mould and Condensation

Dampness Rising Damp Mould Black Mould Condensation

Dilapidations and Negotiations

Dilapidations Claim by a Landlord

Energy Saving what can I do?

Finance what is a Financial Adviser (We are not Financial Advisors)

Fire Risk and Help

Health and Safety Risks

Insurance how do I get the correct property insurance?

Landlords Surveying Advice

Property Investment how can I invest in property?

Property TV Reviews by an Independent Surveyor

Schedules of Condition Leasing a Commercial Property

Scotts Schedule and Section 18 Valuation

Tenants Surveying Advice

Weather how does weather affect my property?



Snow and Ice

Strong Winds

Reviews from clients on Commercial Building Surveys

Churches and Charities, helpful reviews from our clients

Industrial Buildings and Warehouses and what our clients say about us

Offices Large and Small, reviews and feedback from our clients

Pubs, Restaurants, Hotels and other Leisure facilities we have surveyed over the years

Shops and Retail, helpful reviews from our clients


First Time Buyers

Buying a Leasehold or Shared Freehold Home

Buying and Selling Houses for the experienced house and home purchaser

First Time Buyers how do I go about buying my first house and home?

Improve your property knowledge with our presentations on house, homes and commercial property

Building Surveys

Building Surveying Useful Information


Dilapidations Presentations in Detail

Final Year Building Surveying Exams for University Students or those that would like to know more

How old is your Building? Which era was it built in?

Party Walls

Surveyors and Design Tools

Disputes and Party Walls

Boundary Disputes

Building and Property Disputes

Party Wall Book Reviews

Party Walls Your Rights and Responsibilities

1stAssociated Surveyors Review for Structural Surveys and Building Surveys

Building Surveys, reviews and feedback from satisfied customers

Buy to let property clients, what they say about our structural surveys

Buying at auction, review of the survey

Buying bungalows and retirement properties and how our surveyors can help

Both at work / busy couples, how we can help and some 1stAssociated client reviews

Families with a young person flying the nest, reviews and feedback

First Time Buyers, what they say about us

Listed buildings, structural surveys

Older buildings, a review of buying an older house

Families with children looking for a new home, feedback and reviews

Buying a Non-Traditional Property

Residential Surveys

House and Home Surveys

Commercial Building Surveys

Commercial Surveys

1st Associated Surveyors Are Also Available in the Following Areas:

East Anglia and East

South and South East

West Country and South West


North and North East



London Markets

London Parks



Areas of Britain

1stAssociated Independent Expert Property Surveyors

Specialists in Home Buyers Reports, Building Surveys and Structural Surveys and Schedules of Condition

All Surveyors are Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors qualified and RICS regulated

and are Members of the Independent Surveyors and Valuers Association

Putting the Client First

We do not accept service of documents by email or fax