building valuations


Wall Tie Problems


you need help and advice with regard to structural surveys, building surveys, engineers reports, defects reports, including things such as wall cracks, repointing, mortar, dampness, lateral dampness, wet rot, dry rot, woodworm, condensation, foundation problems, etc, please free phone 0800 298 5424 for a friendly chat with a building surveyor.


Wall ties why there can be problems

Wall ties have been used in England since after the war and in Scotland since before the war and we do not know about Wales!

Originally properties were built with sold walls. By this we mean a wall that is formed in brickwork or stonework in a Flemish bond pattern or English garden wall bond pattern. One of the problems with this type of wall was dampness getting through. A system was therefore developed, which was used Scotland first of all (we assume because it is wetter in this area) of having a brick, an air gap and then another brick. The two walls are tied together using a wall tie. This is how wall tie construction first started.

English Bond brickwork

Flemish Bond brickwork


What does a failed wall tie wall look like?

Wall tie failure in cavity walls


The textbooks advise that wall ties will rust and corrode. This will lead to an expansion of the metal wall ties, which will cause horizontal cracking, which over many years we have seen once or twice. What we have seen an equal number of times (because this is not a big problem in relation to the number of houses there are with cavity wall ties) is vertical cracking and this seems to be where the wall ties have actually rusted through and broken up and one wall has moved away from an adjacent wall where the wall ties are still in place. For example, the area that has failed could be an area that gets the wind and rain and is sheltered from sunlight. This results in a vertical crack, which is the complete opposite of a horizontal crack that the textbooks say to look out for. It could be argued that there should be horizontal cracking as well, but this is not what we have seen in our experience.

Free phone 0800 298 5424


Discovering if your wall ties have rusted away (often known as failed)

There are specialist companies out there that will look at the wall ties by drilling holes in the walls and using an endoscope or borescope, which allows the viewing of small spaces. However, it has to be said that:

They will generally only do a random sample. This makes sense as sometimes the investigation work would be more costly than actually carrying out the work if it is carried out looking at every single wall time and;

That often these companies have a vested interest in specifying work to be carried out, as they are wall tie replacement companies and are sales people.


Independent advice on wall tie failure

We offer independent advice on wall tie failure and will look at a sample of the wall ties and will look in the positions where we feel they are most likely to have failed, i.e. areas where there is wind driven rain, or areas that do not get natural sunlight, and we will advise without any benefits of then having future wall tie replacement work. If you think about it, it makes sense.

If you truly do want an independent expert opinion from a surveyor with regard to wall tie problems, wall tie failure, surveys, building surveys, structural reports / engineers reports / specific defects report, structural surveys, home buyers reports or any other property matters please contact 0800 298 5424 for a surveyor to give you a call back.

If you have a commercial leasehold or freehold then you may wish to look at our Dilaps Website at and for Disputes go to our Disputes Help site .

We hope you found the article of use and if you have any experiences that you feel should be added to this article that would benefit others, or you feel that some of the information that we have put is wrong then please do not hesitate to contact us (we are only human).

The contents of the web site are for general information only and is not intended to be relied upon for specific or general decisions. Appropriate independent professional advice should be paid for before making such a decision.

All rights are reserved the contents of the web site is not to be reproduced or transmitted in any form in whole or part without the express written permission of


Walls- Articles and Information

Structural Cracking

How, in our experience, Insurance Companies deal with Cracks in Properties

Cracks in my Wall

Cavity Wall Problems

Repairing Cracks

Structural Reports

Please see our section on:

Information on Engineers Reports

Specific Defects Reports

Dampness Articles


building engineers



Home Buyers Reports Property Surveys - why we're the best. Engineers Reports
© Copyright
Site Map

1stassociated-logo-for-footer IVSA-badge IVSA-putting-client-first call-us-for-footer

We have thousands of free property articles to help you - or call us freephone on 0800 298 5424

We have been working in the property industry for many years and have been
providing free property articles for over ten years. All for free and to help you with buying your next property.

House and Home Surveys and Useful Information

All you need to know about Building Surveys

Building Control, what do they do?

Designers and Architects will they save me money or will they cost me money

Enviroment, Your Building and Garden Gnomes

Estate Agents help sell houses and work for the vendors

Have a Structural Survey to protect you against structural problems

Home improvements, builder problems and ideas for you on how to solve them

How a Surveyor values a property, Chartered Surveyors and Regulated Valuers

How Chartered Engineers and Building Engineers can help you

Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas

NHBC National House Building Council

Structural Surveys and How We Can Help You

Traditional and Non-Traditional Houses and Mortgage Problems

Valuations and how much is the building worth?

Whats the difference between a Chartered Building Surveyor, Chartered Surveyor and an Independent Surveyor

Useful property problem articles by Chartered Surveyors explaining building issues to avoid

External - Helpful information on building problems on the outside of the property

Chimney issues and problems

Cracking and Movement Problems and Surveying Solutions

Flat Roof Problems, how we can solve them

Foundations and Structures and Settlement and Subsidence and Underpinning

Pitched Roofs Problems and Solutions

Roof Problems

Wall Problems

Windows and Doors and Fascias and Soffits and Wet Rot and Dry Rot and other problems

Internal - House problems we have investigated inside

All you ever need to know about floors

Asbestos in your home, what you need to know

Ceiling Cracks and Structural Problems

Condensation, Damp and Black Mould Problems

Cracking and Movement Problems and Surveying Solutions

Windows and Doors and Fascias and Soffits and Wet Rot and Dry Rot and other problems

Woodworm is it a problem or not? Is it active or not?

Services - Building help and advice on costly services

Drainage, what's underground can affect what's above ground

Heating; I just can't get my house warm enough or alternatively I just can't get my house cool enough

You can't mess around with the electric, you need an expert


Commercial Property Services

Building Terms Explained and Directories

Commercial Property Surveys

Commercial Structural Surveys

Leisure Facilites

Offices Large and Small

Shops and Retail

Warehouse and Industrial Buildings

Dilapidations Help and Advice What is a Dilapidations Notice?

A Beginner's Guide to Dilaps

Damp Mould and Condensation

Dampness Rising Damp Mould Black Mould Condensation

Dilapidations and Negotiations

Dilapidations Claim by a Landlord

Energy Saving what can I do?

Finance what is a Financial Adviser (We are not Financial Advisors)

Fire Risk and Help

Health and Safety Risks

Insurance how do I get the correct property insurance?

Landlords Surveying Advice

Property Investment how can I invest in property?

Property TV Reviews by an Independent Surveyor

Schedules of Condition Leasing a Commercial Property

Scotts Schedule and Section 18 Valuation

Tenants Surveying Advice

Weather how does weather affect my property?



Snow and Ice

Strong Winds

Reviews from clients on Commercial Building Surveys

Churches and Charities, helpful reviews from our clients

Industrial Buildings and Warehouses and what our clients say about us

Offices Large and Small, reviews and feedback from our clients

Pubs, Restaurants, Hotels and other Leisure facilities we have surveyed over the years

Shops and Retail, helpful reviews from our clients


First Time Buyers

Buying a Leasehold or Shared Freehold Home

Buying and Selling Houses for the experienced house and home purchaser

First Time Buyers how do I go about buying my first house and home?

Improve your property knowledge with our presentations on house, homes and commercial property

Building Surveys

Building Surveying Useful Information


Dilapidations Presentations in Detail

Final Year Building Surveying Exams for University Students or those that would like to know more

How old is your Building? Which era was it built in?

Party Walls

Surveyors and Design Tools

Disputes and Party Walls

Boundary Disputes

Building and Property Disputes

Party Wall Book Reviews

Party Walls Your Rights and Responsibilities

1stAssociated Surveyors Review for Structural Surveys and Building Surveys

Building Surveys, reviews and feedback from satisfied customers

Buy to let property clients, what they say about our structural surveys

Buying at auction, review of the survey

Buying bungalows and retirement properties and how our surveyors can help

Both at work / busy couples, how we can help and some 1stAssociated client reviews

Families with a young person flying the nest, reviews and feedback

First Time Buyers, what they say about us

Listed buildings, structural surveys

Older buildings, a review of buying an older house

Families with children looking for a new home, feedback and reviews

Buying a Non-Traditional Property

Residential Surveys

House and Home Surveys

Commercial Building Surveys

Commercial Surveys

1st Associated Surveyors Are Also Available in the Following Areas:

East Anglia and East

South and South East

West Country and South West


North and North East



London Markets

London Parks



Areas of Britain

1stAssociated Independent Expert Property Surveyors

Specialists in Home Buyers Reports, Building Surveys and Structural Surveys and Schedules of Condition

All Surveyors are Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors qualified and RICS regulated

and are Members of the Independent Surveyors and Valuers Association

Putting the Client First

We do not accept service of documents by email or fax